Workbook for Step-by-Step Medical Coding 2012 Edition,
Strengthen your ability to code accurately and obtain the correct reimbursement for medical services with this helpful workbook. Specifically designed to parallel the content of Carol J. Buck's Step-By-Step Medical Coding 2012 Edition, it provides more than 1,000 questions and terminology exercises (with odd numbered answers provided) that cover both the ICD-9 and ICD-10 diagnosis coding systems, and includes over 90 original source documents to familiarize you with the materials you'll encounter in practice.
- Over 90 original source documents provide real-world experience to prepare you for employers' expectations.
- Dual coding in chapters 13-31 (where both ICD-10 and ICD-9 answers are provided for every question with an ICD answer) ensures you can code using the systems of both today and tomorrow.
- More than 1,000 questions and terminology exercises familiarize you with documents you will encounter in practice.
- Consistent question format with odd numbered answers provided mirrors the format of the main text to improve your coding skills and promote critical thinking.
- Original reports, cleared of all confidential information, simulate real-world experience in areas such as:
- Fracture repair with skeletal fixation
- Muscle repair
- Cesarean delivery
- Tubal ligation
- Primary focus on ICD-10 prepares you for the upcoming 2013 transition with plenty of theory, practical exercises, and report activities covering the ICD-10-CM diagnosis coding system.
- Updated content reflects the latest coding developments so you can practice with the most current information available.
1. Reimbursement, HIPAA, and Compliance
2. An Overview of the ICD-10-CM
3. ICD-10-CM Outpatient Coding and Reporting Guidelines
4. Using ICD-10-CM
5. Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-10-CM Chapters 1-10)
6. Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-10-CM Chapters 11-14)
7. Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-10-CM Chapters 15-21)
8. An Overview of the ICD-9-CM
9. ICD-9-CM Outpatient Coding and Reporting Guidelines
10. Using ICD-9-CM
11. Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-9-CM Chapters 1-8)
12. Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-9-CM Chapters 9-17)
13. Introduction to the CPT and Level II National Codes (HCPCS)
15. Evaluation and Management (E/M) Services
17. Surgery Guidelines and General Surgery
18. Integumentary System
19. Musculoskeletal System
20. Respiratory System
21. Cardiovascular System
22. Hemic, Lymphatic, Mediastinum, and Diaphragm
23. Digestive System
24. Urinary and Male Genital Systems
25. Reproductive, Intersex Surgery, Female Genital System, and Maternity Care and Delivery
26. Endocrine and Nervous Systems
27. Eye, Ocular Adnexa, Auditory, and Operating Microscope
31. Inpatient Coding
Appendix A. Reports
Appendix B. Answers to Workbook Questions
Carol J. Buck, MS, CPC, CPC-H, CCS-P, Former Program Director, Medical Secretarial Programs, Northwest Technical College, East Grand Forks, MN