Workbook for ICD-10-CM/PCS Coding: Theory and Practice,
Reinforce your knowledge of ICD-10-CM/PCS coding concepts and apply that knowledge to realistic medical records! Corresponding to the chapters in Lovaasen and Schwerdtfeger's ICD-10-CM/PCS Coding: Theory and Practice, this practical workbook offers engaging, interactive exercises to help you transfer textbook knowledge to successful employment in medical coding.
- Matching exercises, multiple-choice questions, coding questions, and case scenarios with MS-DRG assignment reinforce key concepts from the textbook.
- Hands-on application activities and case studies help you master textbook concepts by applying them to actual health records and case scenarios.
- ICD-10-CM/ICD-10-PCS codes are shown in all coding exercises and examples (including answer keys) to prepare you for the 2013 implementation of ICD-10.
- ICD-10 Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting are included in each coding chapter.
- A companion Evolve website includes textbook updates, links to additional content, and more.
1. The Rationale for and History of Coding
2. The Health Record as the Foundation for Coding
3. ICD-10-CM Format and Conventions
4. Basic Steps of Coding
5. General Coding Guidelines for Diagnosis
6. General Coding Guidelines for Medical and Surgical Procedures
7. General Coding Guidelines for Other Medical and Surgical Related Procedures and Ancillary Procedures
8. Symptoms, Signs, and Abnormal Clinical and Laboratory Findings not Elsewhere Classified, and Z codes
9. Certain Infectious and Parasitic Diseases (ICD-10-CM Chapter 1, Codes A00-B99)
11. Diseases of the Blood and Blood-Forming Organs and Certain Disorders Involving the Immune Mechanism
12. Endocrine, Nutritional, and Metabolic Diseases (ICD-10-CM Chapter 4, Codes E00-D89)
13. Mental Disorders and Behavioral Disorders (ICD-10-CM Chapter 5, Codes F0-F99)
14. Diseases of the Nervous System and Sense Organs (ICD-10-CM Chapter 6, Codes G00-G99, Chapter 7, Codes H00-H59, and Chapter 8, Codes H60-H95)
15. Diseases of the Circulatory System (ICD-10-CM Chapter 9, Codes I00-I99)
16. Diseases of the Respiratory System (ICD-10-CM Chapter 10, Codes J00-J99)
17. Diseases of the Digestive System (ICD-10-CM Chapter 11, Codes K00-K94)
18. Diseases of the Skin and Subcutaneous Tissue (ICD-10-CM Chapter 12, Codes L00-L99)
19. Diseases of the Musculoskeletal System and Connective Tissue (ICD-10-CM Chapter 13, Codes M00-M99)
20. Diseases of the Genitourinary System (ICD-10-CM Chapter 14, Codes N00-N99)
21. Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Puerperium (ICD-10-CM Chapter 15, Codes O00-O9A)
22. Perinatal Conditions and Congenital Malformations, Deformations and Chromosomal Abnormalities (ICD-10-CM Chapter 16, Codes P00-P96 and Chapter 17, Codes Q00-Q99)
23. Injury and Certain Other Consequences of External Causes and External Cases of Morbidity (ICD-10-CM Chapter 19, S00-T88 and 20 V01-Y99)
24. Burns, Adverse Effects, and Poisonings
25. Complications of Surgical and Medical Care
26. Reimbursement Methodologies
27. Outpatient Coding
Karla R. Lovaasen, RHIA, CCS, CCS-P, Coding and Consulting Services, Abingdon, MD and Jennifer Schwerdtfeger, BS, RHIT, CCS, CPC, CPC-H, Partner, Auditing & Coding Experts, LLC, Crofton, MD