Building a Medical Vocabulary - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource,8th Edition
The language of medicine is complex, but learning it doesn’t have to be. Using a conversational writing style and a logical, programmed approach, Building a Medical Vocabulary with Spanish Translations, 8th Edition starts with common words you hear everyday and adds new root words, prefixes, and suffixes to introduce you to key medical terminology. Additionally, this valuable text comes with a wealth of engaging review tools – such as interactive games, sound files, and Programmed Learning sections – to enhance your understanding of textbook terms and principles, polish your pronunciation skills, and help you get comfortable communicating in the language of health care.
- Programmed Learning sections allow you to actively participate in learning and get instant feedback on your progress.
- Thorough explanation of terms presents vocabulary in the context of medical settings to improve your understanding and term recall.
- Consistent format in body systems chapters categorizes terms as anatomic, diagnostic, or therapeutic to acquaint you with the type of discussion that is occurring in health care reports.
- Direct, conversational writing style makes reading and absorbing the material enjoyable.
- Bookmark pronunciation guide doubles as a device to cover the answer column while working in the Programmed Learning sections of the text.
- Health Care Reports and case studies encourage you to apply your knowledge to job-like situations.
- Be Careful with These caution boxes highlight important distinctions you need to make among terms that are similar in spelling and/or pronunciation.
- Function First sections introduce you to physiology and why each body system is important.
- Moderate A&P coverage provides just the right amount of information you need to understand body systems in the context of medical terminology.
- Spanish translations familiarize you with the most common Spanish terminology that you are likely to encounter in the clinical environment.
- Pharmacology coverage introduces key drug classes for disorders of each body system and offers more detailed information in the appendix.
- Comprehensive end-of-chapter reviews bring learning "full circle" and allow you to measure your learning against chapter objectives.
- Comprehensive Review chapter integrates terms from throughout the text to prepare you for your final examination.
- Online sound files provide audible reinforcement of correct pronunciations.
- Student Resources on Evolve feature engaging activities and tools to further your understanding of terms and concepts from the text.
- Glossary/Index eases the process of finding a word and its definition in the text.
- NEW! Word-building and word analysis exercises reinforce word parts and meanings.
- Upgraded art program offers more pathologic and diagnostic photos as well as more explanatory diagrams of physiology.
- Mini-glossaries in the body systems chapters add "rapid-fire" recall and help break up programmed learning blocks.
- Beyond the Blueprint provides additional information about terms, including their extended meanings beyond what can be determined by word part analysis.
- Career Profiles cover job realities and insights from practicing professionals to expose you to a variety of different medical careers.
- Understanding Relationships of Terms sections group terms by medical application in an end-of-chapter list to reinforce your understanding of terminology.
1. Tools for Building Medical Terms
2. Building on Familiar Terms
3. Diagnostic, Therapeutic and Surgical Terms
4. Diseases and Disorders
6. Organization of the Body
7. Body Fluids and Immunity
Body Systems Chapters
8. Circulatory System
9. Respiratory System
10. Digestive System
11. Urinary System
12. Reproductive System
13. Reproduction and Sexually Transmitted Diseases
14. Musculoskeletal System
15. Nervous System and Psychological Disorders
16. Integumentary System
17. Endocrine System
18. Review by Chapter
I. Medical Abbreviations II. Enhancing Spanish Communications III. Word Parts IV. Solutions to Review Questions Glossary/Index
Peggy C. Leonard, BA, MT, MEd, Chesterfield, MO