Physical Examination and Health Assessment,7th Edition
Physical Examination & Health Assessment, 7th Edition continues to provide the most trusted content on the market today. Dr. Carolyn Jarvis knows students… and health assessment. With a clear, logical, and holistic approach to physical examination across the lifespan, Jarvis engages students and promotes greater understanding of the principles of assessment. The illustrations in this Jarvis text afford students with unmatched visual instruction, addressing the needs of all learners. Additionally, all content is supported by evidence-based practice and reflects the most pressing issues that nurses face today. And this unparalleled content is supported by unparalleled resources: TEACH for Nurses, a comprehensive test bank, extensive student resources, and more. It's easy to see why this text is, far and away, #1 in this field!
- A clear, logical, and streamlined approach simplifies content and helps you learn to perform the complete health assessment:
- The conversational, easy-to-understand writing style makes learning easier.
- A two-column format distinguishes normal findings from abnormal findings, and uses step-by-step photos to clarify examination techniques and expected findings.
- 1,200 full-color illustrations present anatomy and physiology, examination techniques, and abnormal findings.
- Abnormal findings tables include more than 300 pathophysiology photos to help in recognizing, sorting, and describing abnormalities.
- Comprehensive coverage reflects the realities of today’s nursing practice:
- NEW content on the Electronic Health Record, charting, and narrative recording provides examples of how to document assessment findings.
- 150 NEW normal and abnormal examination photos for the nose, mouth, throat, thorax, and pediatric assessment show findings that are unexpected or that require referral for follow-up care, with cultural diversity and developmental variations.
- UPDATED evidence-based practice content is highlighted and reflects a focus on conducting the most effective, accurate examinations.
- UPDATED case studies provide opportunities to apply your knowledge and develop your analytical skills.
- Checklists for use in RN-to-BSN completion programs provide a refresher for seasoned nurses returning to the classroom.
- A holistic approach to assessment accommodates the diverse types of patients that you will encounter in the real world:
- Documentation and Critical Thinking sections provide real-world clinical examples of specific patients and how to record assessment findings in the patient’s chart, using the SOAP format.
- Promoting a Healthy Lifestyle boxes enable patient teaching and health promotion while performing the health assessment, and now address the key concept of prevention.
- Developmental Competence sections provide age-specific assessment techniques for infants, children, adolescents, pregnant women, and older adults.
- Culture and Genetics sections include biocultural and transcultural information on an increasingly diverse patient population.
- Spanish-language translations highlight important phrases for improved data gathering and communication during the physical examination with Spanish-speaking patients.
- NEW evidence-based guidelines reflect a focus on conducting the most effective, qualitative exams.
- NEW Substance Use Assessment chapter addresses this increasingly critical aspect of holistic patient assessments.
- 100 new photos of step-by-step examination techniques include all-new exam panoramas for key systems.
- 100 new abnormal findings photos provide instant visual cues for findings that are unexpected or that require referral for follow-up care.
- Expanded chapter on assessment of the hospitalized adult provides a focused assessment of the patient in the hospital setting.
- New content on obesity provides current information on this growing health problem.
1. Evidence-Based Assessment
2. Cultural Competence
3. The Interview
4. The Complete Health History
5. Mental Status Assessment
6. Substance Use Assessment
7. Domestic and Family Violence Assessment
8. Assessment Techniques and Safety in the Clinical Setting
9. General Survey, Measurements, Vital Signs
10. Pain Assessment: The Fifth Vital Sign
11. Nutritional Assessment
12. Skin, Hair, and Nails
13. Head, Face, and Neck, including Regional Lymphatics
16. Nose, Mouth, and Throat
17. Breasts and Regional Lymphatics
18. Thorax and Lungs
19. Heart and Neck Vessels
20. Peripheral Vascular System and Lymphatic System
22. Musculoskeletal System
23. Neurologic System
24. Male Genitourinary System
25. Anus, Rectum, and Prostate
26. Female Genitourinary System
27. The Complete Health Assessment: Adult
28. The Complete Health Assessment: Infant, Young Child, and Adolescent
29. Bedside Assessment and Electronic Health Recording
30. The Pregnant Woman
31. Functional Assessment of the Older Adult
Carolyn Jarvis, PhD, APN, CNP, Professor, School of Nursing, Illinois Wesleyan University; Nurse Practitioner, Community Health Care Clinic, Bloomington, Illinois