Nursing Today Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 8th Edition
Always a favorite for its easy-to-read style, real-life applications, and humorous cartoons, this text helps students make a successful transition to careers as practicing nurses. It covers the profession's leading issues and opportunities, ensuring that students graduate not only with patient care skills but with career development skills including resume writing, finding a job, and effective interviewing. Test-taking tips and strategies make it easier to prepare for the NCLEX-RN® exam. Ideal for the capstone Issues course in nursing, this edition includes new information on topics including health care reform, patient safety, collective bargaining, and emergency preparedness.
- Thorough coverage prepares you for a professional nursing career by including all of the most important issues faced by the new nurse.
- An engaging presentation features lively cartoons, chapter objectives, bibliographies, and colorful summary boxes.
- Critical Thinking boxes are located in every chapter, with relevant questions and exercises to apply what you have learned to clinical practice.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes focus on the research evidence that supports clinical practice.
- Real-life scenarios in each chapter illustrate and personalize the chapter topics.
- An emphasis on making the transition into the workplace is included in chapters such as NCLEX-RN and the New Graduate, Employment Considerations: Opportunities, Resumes, and Interviewing, and Mentoring and Preceptorship.
- A companion Evolve website includes Case Studies for every chapter, test-taking strategies, a sample NCLEX test tutorial, a sample NCLEX exam, appendices, and resume builder templates for creating professional resumes and cover letters.
- Health care reform is covered in the Economics of the Health Care Delivery System chapter, including the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010 and the new Patient Bill of Rights as they apply to health care delivery and cost.
- Updated Health Care Organization and Patterns of Nursing Care Delivery chapter covers the results of managed care and explains the "p4p" (pay for performance) payment system, eliminating payment for medical errors as urged by the Institute of Medicine, and the collaboration at all levels of care to prevent medical errors and improve quality of care.
- A chapter on collective bargaining and unions covers the creation in 2009 of the largest union and professional organization of registered nurses, the National Nurses United (NNU), and related issues.
- Updated Emergency Preparedness chapter covers The World Health Organization's (WHO) global pandemic influenza plan and its relation to public health and immunization.
- Coverage of QSEN and Patient Safety includes not only Quality and Safety Education for Nurses, but also the National Patient Safety Foundation and the Institute of Medicine competencies related to patient safety, as well as better communication among health care providers, quality improvement, and guidelines from The Joint Commission.
- Coverage of evidence-based practice includes management protocols and interventions used as the basis for clinical outcomes.
Unit I: Professional Growth and Transition 1. Role Transitions 2. Personal Management: Time and Self-Care Strategies 3. Mentorship, Preceptorship, and Nurse Residency Programs
Unit II: Career Development 4. Employment Considerations: Opportunities, Resumes and Interviewing 5. NCLEX-RN Examination and the New Graduate
Unit III: Nursing: A Developing Profession 6. Historical Perspectives: Influences of the Past 7. Nursing Education 8. Nursing Theories 9. Image of Nursing: Influences of the Present
Unit IV: Nursing Management 10. Challenges of Nursing Management 11. Building Nursing Management Skills 12. Effective Communication and Team Building 13. Conflict Management 14. Delegation in the Clinical Setting
Unit V: Current Issues in Health Care 15. The Health Care Organization and Patterns of Nursing Care Delivery 16. Economics in the Health Care Delivery System 17. Political Action in Nursing 18. Collective Bargaining: Traditional (Union) and Non-Traditional Approaches 19. Ethical Issues 20. Legal Issues
Unit VI: Contemporary Nursing Practice 21. Cultural and Spiritual Awareness 22. Quality Client Care 23. Nursing Informatics 24. Using Nursing Research in Practice 25. Workplace Issues 26. Emergency Preparedness
JoAnn Zerwekh, EdD, RN, President/CEO, Nursing Education Consultants, Chandler, AZ; Nursing Faculty - Online Campus, University of Phoenix, Phoenix, AZ and Jo Carol Claborn, MS, RN, Nurse Educator, Seymour, Texas