McCurnin's Clinical Textbook for Veterinary Technicians - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource,8th Edition
A fundamental text in the field of veterinary technology, McCurnin’s Clinical Textbook for Veterinary Technicians, 8th Edition has the trusted content, simplified layout, and novel study tools every Vet Tech needs. Sections on small and large animals, birds, reptiles, and small mammals embrace every aspect of the veterinary field, while case presentations of actual patient situations link information to relevant, real-life scenarios. This color-coded, fully illustrated guide will give you a leg up in the constantly evolving Vet Tech field.
- Full color visuals make learning easier with accurate depictions of specific disorders, diseases, and procedures.
- Detailed information of the technician’s role in every procedure enables you to focus on your role in veterinary practice.
- Birds, reptiles, and small mammals chapter keeps you up-to-date with care and treatment for these increasingly popular pets.
- Chapters on pharmacology, pain management, restraint, and veterinary oncology offer a broader understanding of the responsibilities of a technician.
- The TEACH manual provides instructors with teaching/learning objectives, key terms, critical thinking challenges, and chapter quizzes, while the workbook contains applied quizzes and activities for each chapter.
- New case presentations help link information to real life by illustrating scenarios of actual patient situations and outcomes.
- Increased coverage of large animal concerns, such as nutrition, emergency nursing, pain management, and anesthesia, prepare you for potential patients.
- New chapters on Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation, and Laws, Regulations, and Ethics, as well as expanded sections in Anesthesia, Nursing, and Dentistry provide the most comprehensive information.
- Newly added key terms, glossary, outlines, boxed “Technician Tips,” and learning objectives aid studying.
Module One: Veterinary Technology: An Overview
- Introduction to Veterinary Technology: Its Laws and Ethics
- Veterinary Practice Management
- Written and Digital Medical Records
- Occupational Health and Safety in Veterinary Hospitals
- Animal Behavior
- Restraint and Handling of Animals
- History and Physical Examination
- Preventive Health Programs
- Companion Animal Nutrition
- Large Animal Nutrition
- Animal Reproduction
- Hematology, Cytology
- Clinical Chemistry, Serology and Urinalysis
- Clinical Microbiology
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Basic Necropsy Procedures
- Diagnostic Sampling and Treatment Techniques
- Small Animal Medical Nursing
- Large Animal Medical Nursing
- Neonatal Care of Puppy, Kitten, and Foal
- Care of Birds, Reptiles and Small Mammals
- Physical Therapy, Rehabilitation, and Alternative Medical Nursing
- Fluid Therapy and Transfusion Medicine
- Emergency & Critical Care Nursing
- Wound Management and Bandaging
- Pharmacology and Pharmacy
- Pain Management
- Veterinary Anesthesia
- Surgical instruments and Aseptic Technique
- Surgical Assistance and Suture Material
- Small Animal Surgical Nursing
- Large Animal Surgical Nursing
- Veterinary Dentistry
- Geriatric and Hospice Care: Supporting the Aged and Dying Patient
- The Human Animal Bond and Euthanasia
Module Two: Patient Management and Nutrition
Module Three: Clinical Sciences
Module Four: Medical Nursing
Module Five: Emergency and Critical Care
Module Six: Anesthesia, Analgesia and Pharmacology
Module Seven: Surgical Nursing
Module Eight: End of Life
Joanna M. Bassert, VMD, Professor and Director, Program of Veterinary Technology, Manor College, Jenkintown, PA and John Thomas, DVM, Assistant Professor, Veterinary Technology, Cuyahoga Community College, Cleveland, OH