With dynamic full-color illustrations and an easy-to-read writing style, Pathophysiology, 4th Edition explores the etiology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestation, and treatment of disease. Each unit covers a specific body system and begins with an illustrated review of anatomy and normal physiology to prepare you for disease processes and abnormalities discussions. Coverage of the latest developments in pathophysiology and a wealth of student-friendly learning resources will help you understand all of the major degenerative, neoplastic, metabolic, immunologic and infectious diseases.
- 900 full-color illustrations clarify complex pathophysiological concepts.
- Easy-to-read style includes many tables, boxes, and figures to highlight and simplify content.
- Key Questions at the beginning of each chapter highlight key objectives and help you develop and use critical thinking skills.
- Key Points boxes focus on the most important information.
- Geriatric Considerations boxes analyze the age-related changes associated with a specific body system.
- A chapter summary gives you a quick wrap-up of the key content in each chapter.
- NEW! Pediatric Considerations boxes with accompanying flow charts describe conditions and changes specific to young children.
- NEW! Updated content includes the latest information on new treatment advances, the relationship between stress and inflammation to cardiovascular disease, and much more throughout the text.
- NEW! Global Health Considerations tables include information on HIV/AIDS and depression/anxiety in women.
ALTERATIONS IN HOMEOSTASIS
Unit I: Pathophysiologic Processes
1. Introduction to Pathophysiology
2. Homeostasis and Adaptive Responses to Stressors
ALTERATIONS IN CELLULAR FUNCTION, GENETICS, AND DEVELOPMENT
Unit II: Cellular Function
3. Cell Structure and Function
4. Cell Injury, Aging, and Death
5. Molecular Genetics and Tissue Differentiation
6. Genetic and Developmental Disorders
ALTERATIONS IN IMMUNE AND INFLAMMATORY RESPONSE
Unit III: Defense
8. Infectious Processes
9. Inflammation and Immunity
10. Alterations in Immune Function
11. Malignant Disorders of White Blood Cells
12. HIV Disease and AIDS
ALTERATIONS IN RESPIRATION AND TISSUE OXYGENATION
Unit IV: Oxygen Transport, Blood Coagulation, Blood Flow, and Blood Pressure
13. Alterations in Oxygen Transport
14. Alterations in Hemostasis and Blood Coagulation
15. Alterations in Blood Flow
16. Alterations in Blood Pressure
Unit V: Cardiac Function
17. Cardiac Function
18. Alterations in Cardiac Function
19. Heart Failure and Dysrhythmias: Common Sequelae of Cardiac Diseases
Unit VI: Respiratory Function
21. Respiratory Function and Alterations in Gas Exchange
22. Obstructive Pulmonary Disorders
23. Restrictive Pulmonary Disorders
ALTERATIONS IN FLUID BALANCE, EXCRETION, AND REPRODUCTION
Unit VII: Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Homeostasis
24. Fluid and Electrolyte Homeostasis and Imbalances
25. Acid-Base Homeostasis and Imbalances
Unit VIII: Renal and Bladder Function
26. Renal Function
27. Intrarenal Disorders
28. Renal Failure
29. Disorders of the Lower Urinary Tract
Unit IX: Genital and Reproductive Function
30. Male Genital and Reproductive Function
31. Alterations in Male Genital and Reproductive Function
32. Female Genital and Reproductive Function
33. Alterations in Female Genital and Reproductive Function
34. Sexually Transmitted Diseases
ALTERATIONS IN METABOLISM AND NURITION
Unit X: Gastrointestinal Function
35. Gastrointestinal Function
36. Gastrointestinal Disorders
37. Alterations in Function of the Gallbladder and Exocrine Pancreas
38. Liver Diseases
Unit XI: Endocrine Function, Metabolism, and Nutrition
39. Mechanisms of Endocrine Control
40. Alterations in Endocrine Control
41. Diabetes Mellitus
42. Alterations in Metabolism and Nutrition
ALTERATIONS IN NEURAL CONTROL AND INTEGRATION
Unit XII: Neural Function
43. Structure and Function of the Nervous System
44. Acute Disorders of Brian Function
45. Chronic Disorders of Neurologic Function
46. Alterations in Special Sensory Function
Unit XIII: Neuropsychological Function
48. Neurobiology of Psychotic Illnesses
49. Neurobiology of Nonpsychotic Illnesses
ALTERATIONS IN MOVEMENT AND SUPPORT
Unit XIV: Musculoskeletal Support and Movement
50. Structure and Function of the Musculoskeletal System
51. Alterations in Musculoskeletal Function: Trauma, Infection, and Disease
52. Alterations in Muscu