Beard's Massage - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 5th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Now in its fifth edition, with a new title, this classic text has been expanded and updated throughout to provide you with an overview of massage, a description of massage techniques, information on the benefits of massage, and specific techniques for a variety of conditions.
- Practical step-by-step guidance to help you develop massage sequences that best meet the needs of your patients.
- Sections on massage strokes show the direction and sequence of each stroke, allowing you the benefit of using one comprehensive resource instead of several texts.
- Includes guidance in Swedish Remedial Massage techniques to help you develop proper massage techniques and sequences that best meet the needs of each individual client.
- Nearly 500 line drawings and photos demonstrate how to perform all of the basic strokes, the physiologic and therapeutic effects of each technique, and how to apply the most appropriate massage sequences to specific regions of the body.
- Photos include directional arrows that show hand position and movement across the patient.
- Updated references facilitate further study and demonstrate currency of the text.
- The new companion DVD with narrated video clips demonstrates each of the various techniques discussed in the text allowing you to visually comprehend proper timing and techniques.
- Icons in the text link the text to the DVD so they can function together as a complete learning tool.
- New chapter on Anatomical Landmarks for Soft Tissue Massage demonstrates the important anatomical landmarks and structures involved during the application of soft tissue massage techniques.
- New chapter on Focal Massage Sequences describes the use of various massage techniques for specific pathologies to help enhance your assessment skills for those clients who present with specific injuries and/or conditions.
- New chapter on Decongestive Therapy for the Treatment of Lymphedema shows how massage can be an effective part of lymphedema treatment.
- New chapter on Massage in Sport explains the different strokes and methods required for sports massage in rehabilitation.
- New chapter on Massage for the Baby and Infant describes different methods for safe massage.
- New chapter on Massage in Palliative Care explains the role of massage, especially pain relief and relaxation, in the care of the terminally ill.
- New chapter on Soft Tissue Manipulation in Complementary/Alternative Medicine (CAM) describes different massage techniques in CAM therapies.
PART I: GENERAL PRINCIPLES
1. Historic Perspectives
2. Anatomical Landmarks for Soft Tissue Massage – NEW!
3. Essential Requirements for Soft Tissue Manipulation
4. Classification, Definitions, and Descriptions of the Basic Massage Strokes and Relaxed Passive Movements
5. Mechanical, Physiological, Psychological, and Therapeutic Effects of Soft Tissue Manipulation
PART II: PRACTICE
6. Soft Tissue Manipulation Techniques as an Evaluation Tool
7. General Massage Sequences
8. Local Massage Sequences
9. Focal Massage Sequences – NEW!
10. Massage for the Patient with a Respiratory Condition
11. Connective Tissue Massage (CTM)
12. Decongestive Therapy for the Treatment of Lymphedema – NEW!
13. Massage in Sport – NEW!
14. Massage for the Baby and Infant – NEW!
15. Massage in Palliative Care – NEW!
16. Soft Tissue Manipulation in Complementary/Alternative Medicine (CAM) – NEW!
17. Eastern Systems of Soft Tissue Manipulation
Appendix: Closed Chest (External) Cardiac Massage
Giovanni De Domenico, Grad Dip(Physiotherapy), Dip TP, MSc, PhD, MCSP, MAPA, MCPA, Professor and Chair, Department of Physical Therapy, College of Allied Health Professions, University of South Alabama, Mobile, AL