Ultrasound Scanning - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card),3rd Edition
- Full and limited scanning protocols discuss the location of specific vessels or organs, anatomy and physiology, sonographic appearance, and normal variations.
- Protocols follow guidelines provided by the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine (AIUM), the organization that sets sonography policies, practice standards, safety procedures, and performance guidelines.
- Full discussion of each scanning protocol consistently addresses patient preparation, type of transducer, breathing techniques, comprehensive surveys, and required images.
- Focus on scanning protocols prepares students for their most important function as a sonographer — providing diagnostic sonograms for physicians.
- Detailed line drawings accompany most sonograms, showing which structures and outlines should be discerned within the image.
- Over 1,400 images and drawings are accompanied by detailed scanning instructions with illustrations for patient position and transducer movement, plus images with accompanying drawings for every AIUM-approved protocol.
- 10 review questions are added to the end of each chapter, allowing students to quiz themselves.
- 250 new images include 175 protocol images in the abdomen chapter plus 75 others, completing all the protocols approved by the AIUM.
- Ergonomics section is added to Chapter 1, providing information on preventing occupational injury.
- Human disease information is added to Chapter 3, with overview of sonography and pathology.
- Review questions have been added to the end of each chapter.
- Evolve® Resources for instructors includes test bank and image collection.
Part I General Principles
Chapter 1 Introduction to Scanning – Includes New! Proper Use of Equipment/Ergonomics
Chapter 2 Scanning Principles
Chapter 3 Pathology NEW!
Part II Abdominal Scanning Protocols
Chapter 4 Abdominal Aorta
Chapter 5 Inferior Vena Cava
Chapter 6 Liver
Chapter 7 Gallbladder and Biliary Tract
Chapter 8 Pancreas
Chapter 9 Renal
Chapter 10 Spleen
Chapter 11 Documenting Full and Limited Abdominal Studies
Part III Pelvic Scanning Protocols
Chapter 12 Female Pelvis
Chapter 13 Endovaginal
Chapter 14 Obstetrical
Chapter 15 Male Pelvis (Prostate Gland)
Part III Small Parts Scanning Protocols
Chapter 16 Scrotum
Chapter 17 Thyroid and Parathyroid Glands
Chapter 18 Breast
Chapter 19 Neonatal Brain
Part IV Vascular Scanning Protocols
Chapter 20 Abdominal Doppler and Color Flow
Chapter 21 Cerebrovascular Duplex
Chapter 22 Peripheral Arterial and Venous Duplex
Chapter 23 Adult Echocardiography
Chapter 24 Pediatric Echocardiography
Appendix I Guidelines for Performance of Abdominal and Retroperitoneal Ultrasound Examination
Appendix II Guidelines for Performance of Scrotal Ultrasound Examination
Appendix III Guidelines for Performance of Antepartum Obstetrical Ultrasound Examination
Appendix IV Guidelines for Performance of Female Pelvis Ultrasound Examination
Appendix V Guidelines for Performance of Prostate Ultrasound Examination
Betty Bates Tempkin, BA, Member, Board of Directors, Piedmont Virginia Community College, Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program, Charlottesville, VA; Ultrasound Consultant, Middlebrook, VA; Formerly, Clinical Director, Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program, Hillsborough Community College, Tampa, FL