A Practical Guide to Therapeutic Communication for Health Professionals - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card),
- Easy-to-read style provides practical information, hints, and tips.
- Test Your Communication IQ boxes provide students with a short self-assessment test at the beginning of each chapter.
- Spotlight on Future Success boxes provide students with useful, practical tips for improving communication.
- Taking the Chapter to Work boxes integrated within each chapter are actual case examples with useful tips to guide students to practice and apply what they have learned.
- Beyond the Classroom Activities exercises at the end of each chapter help students use knowledge learned from topics presented in the chapter.
- Check Your Comprehension exercises at the end of each chapter provide questions and activities to test student knowledge of chapter content.
- Communication Surfer Exercises focus on helping students utilize Internet resources to improve their knowledge and application of communication skills.
- Expanding Critical Thinking at the end of each chapter provides students with additional questions or activities designed to apply critical thinking skills.
- Legal Eagle boxes provide useful tips that focus on honesty, as well as ethical and legal communication between patients and health care workers.
- Unique, interactive CD-ROM, packaged with the textbook, includes a variety of application exercises, such as voice mail messages, patient/caregiver interviews, chapter key points, and patient charts.
- Audio segments on the CD-ROM provide communication in action to help students observe verbal communication examples and apply their skills.
1. Introduction to Communication: Building the Framework
2. Challenges to Communication: Overcoming the Barriers
3. Gathering Information: Learning About the Patient
4. Education Patients: Teaching Patients to Help Themselves
5. Communicating Wellness: What Does It Take to be Healthy?
6. Communication Through the Grief Process: When Words are Not Enough
7. Written Communication: It’s More Than Just Words
8. Communicating in the Workplace: It’s More Than Just Patients
9. Communicating to Get the Job You Want: Four Key Tools
Common Spanish Phrases
Julie Hosley, RN, CMA, Retired Medical Assisting Program Director, Carteret Community College, Morehead City, NC and Elizabeth Molle-Matthews, RN, CEN, CCRN, Nurse Educator, Middlesex Hospital, Midland, CT