Essentials of Sonography and Patient Care - Elsevier Digital Book (Retail Access Card),2nd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Page Count: 320
List Price: $60.95
Or $0.00 with a valid access code
This item has low stock levels and may be back-ordered. We'll let you know if it is back-ordered, and you will not be charged until the item ships.
Providing a solid foundation in sonography, this book is designed to help students succeed in both the classroom and in practice. It promotes study by defining important terminology, by providing a historical overview of ultrasound technology, and by describing the sonographer's role on the medical team — adding study techniques, note taking, effective listening, and test-taking strategies. For the clinical environment, the book covers topics such as taking a patient's vital signs, safety considerations, body mechanics, patient transfer, infection control, and emergency procedures. This book also prepares students for the transition into practice, covering expectations in various clinical settings, continuing education, sonography specialties, administrative roles, and career options.
- The only text devoted entirely to entry-level students, providing a foundation of essential knowledge.
- Step-by-step descriptions of basic medical procedures and patient care show sonographers how to safely perform procedures and how to interact with patients in a clinical setting.
- Updated instrumentation information on current technology in the field of ultrasound.
- Expanded information on body mechanics and proper scanning posture, helping sonographers avoid repetitive-motion musculoskeletal injuries.
- Objectives and Key Terms are listed in chapter openers.
- Frequently needed patient instructions in Spanish.
- Updated instrumentation information.
- Expanded information on body mechanics and proper scanning posture to avoid repetitive motion musculoskeletal injury.
- Electronic image archiving and patient records, including HIPAA information.
- New information on ethics, scope of practice, and practice standards.
- New chapter on legal considerations for sonographers.
- Evolve Resources for instructors, saving preparation time and enhancing the text.
- Note boxes draw attention to important information.
Chapter 1 The Origins and Evaluation of Diagnostic Medical Sonography.
Chapter 2 Sonographer Development
Chapter 3 The Sonographer as a Student
New! Chapter 4 Sonographer Safety Issues
Chapter 5 Patient-Sonographer Interaction: Medical Techniques and Patient Care
Chapter 6 Communications and Critical Thinking Skills
New! Chapter 7 Clinical Assessments and Sonographic Procedures
New! Chapter 8 Medico-Legal Aspects of Sonography
Chapter 9 Ethics and Professionalism
New! Chapter 10 Sound Futures
New! Chapter 11 Professional Development and Leadership
New! The Patient Care Partnership
Commonly Encountered Lab Tests And Values
Common Medical Abbreviations
New! Abbreviated Glossary of Spanish Phrases
M. Robert de Jong, RDMS, RDCS, RVT, FSDMS, Radiology Technical Manager - Ultrasound, The Russell H. Morgan Department of Radiology and Radiological Science, The Johns Hopkins Hospital,