Develop the critical thinking skills you need for success in today’s challenging healthcare setting with Critical Thinking and Clinical Judgment: A Practical Approach to Outcome-Focused Thinking, 4th Edition! This book’s insightful and motivational style makes the concept of critical thinking come alive. Learning difficult concepts is easy with the book’s “how-to” approach that provides supporting rationales to help you understand why and how to make decisions.
- User-friendly and motivational style with vivid examples, anecdotes, and real case scenarios brings content to life.
- Helps you work smarter – not harder – by providing workplace strategies for managing time, dealing with conflict, and giving bad news.
- Incorporates practical strategies to promote critical thinking with evidence showing why and how the strategies apply to real life.
- Emphasizes the importance of ethics- and standards-based professional practice in a world of increasing accountability to keep both you and your patients safe.
- Incorporates cultural, spiritual, and lifespan content throughout and addresses nurses’ roles in hospitals, communities, and long-term care settings for a balanced, comprehensive look at critical thinking.
- Pre-Chapter Self-Tests help you focus on learning outcomes by identifying your learning needs.
- Independent learning is easy with user-friendly features such as Key Points, Critical Thinking Exercises, unique HMO (“Help Me Out”) cartoons, and much more.
- New illustrations clarify key concepts and reflect the latest developments in critical thinking.
- UNIQUE! Applies brain-based learning principles through the use of strategies that challenge the mind to help you gain a better understanding of the content.
- A wealth of new content, including problem-focused versus outcome-focused thinking, prioritization, novice and expert thinking, evidence-based practice, and more, provides you with the latest information in the field.
- UNIQUE! Other Perspectives and Critical Moments vignettes with giraffe and elephant icons make learning this important information fun and engaging.
- Covers the Institute of Medicine’s competencies and delegation strategies based on the ANA’s Principles for Delegation.
- NCLEX® examination-style review section includes multiple-choice questions to helps you prepare for board exams.
1. What Is Critical Thinking and Why Do We Care?
2. How to Think Critically
3. Critical Thinking and Clinical Judgment in Nursing
4. Critical Thinking in Nursing: Beyond Clinical Judgment
5. Practicing Clinical Judgment Skills: Up Close and Clinical
6. Mastering Common Workplace Skills
Response Key for Chapters 1 to 5 Critical Thinking Exercises
A. Mind Mapping (Concept Mapping): Getting in the “Right” State of Mind
B. Patients’ Rights
C. D.E.A.D O.N. (A Game to Promote Critical Thinking)
D. Example Critical Pathway
E. Admission Assessment Tool
F. Nursing Interventions Classification (NIC) and Nursing Outcomes Classification (NOC) Examples
G. American Nurses Association (ANA) Standards of Practice and Professional Performance Related to Registered Nurses – NEW!
H. NCLEX® Practice Questions With Answers and Rationales – NEW!