Building a Medical Vocabulary - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 7th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
- A programmed approach to terminology introduces you to medical vocabulary through engaging activities and exercises and helps you immediately recognize and review difficult concepts.
- Thorough explanations illustrate how terms relate to each other in the context of medical settings and help you retain knowledge.
- A conversational writing style makes difficult concepts easier to grasp.
- Consistently organized chapters categorize and simplify terminology.
- A bookmark pronunciation guide provides quick reference to proper pronunciation.
- Caution boxes alert you to important distinctions between similar terms.
- Function First sections detail the physiology of each system and validate appropriate terms.
- A variety of exercises and learning methods throughout each chapter make it easier for you to memorize and retain medical language.
- Pharmacology content introduces you to key drug classes each body system.
- End-of-chapter reviews help you assess your progress and identify learning weaknesses.
- A comprehensive review chapter prepares you for your final examination.
- A combined glossary/index makes it easy to find detailed information on a given term or topic.
- A companion CD helps you reinforce and review what you’ve learned through sound files, interactive games, and more.
- Evolve Resources make studying fun and effective with helpful tips, electronic flashcards, and learning games.
- An updated design enhances navigation and provides more room for writing answers.
- New medical reports present terms within the context of actual case histories and illustrate their proper use in the clinical environment.
- Word-building and word-analysis exercises help you learn to decipher unfamiliar terms when encountered in practice.
- Key Points boxes highlight essential concepts for more efficient learning.
- New line drawings and photographs support terminology presentations and strengthen your understanding.
- An emphasis on the medical process helps you understand terminology in relation to your responsibilities in patient presentation, diagnostics, and care.
- A Spanish usage guide equips you for interaction with Spanish-speaking patients in the health care setting.
- A Genetics appendix familiarizes you with common terms and recent developments in genetics and the Human Genome Project.
Introductory Chapters: Foundations of Medical Terminology1. Tools for Building Medical Terms Word Building, Word Parts, Forming Plurals, and Pronunciation 2. Medicine and its Specialties Using Combining Forms to Build Terms about Medical Specialties 3. Diagnostic, Therapeutic, and Surgical Terms Using Suffixes to Build Medical Terms 4. Diseases and Disorders Using Suffixes to Build Terms about Diseases and Disorders 5. Prefixes Using Prefixes, Suffixes and Combining Forms to Build Medical Terms 6. Organization of the Body The Body’s Organizational Scheme, Anatomic and Directional Terms, Body Regions & Cavities 7. Body Fluids and Immunity Cellular Needs, Blood and its Terminology, and the Immune System
Body Systems8. Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems9. Respiratory System10. Digestive System11. Urinary System12. Reproductive System 13. Reproduction and Sexually Transmitted Diseases14. Musculoskeletal System15. Nervous System and Psychological Disorders16. Integumentary System17. Endocrine System
Review18. Review of All Chapters
AppendicesI. Chapter Pharmacology Erinn Kao, Pharm DII. Medical AbbreviationsIII. Enhancing Spanish Communication English-Spanish Translation of Selected Terms Spanish-English Translation of Selected Terms Communication Quick Reference for Spanish-Speaking Clients IV. GeneticsV. Conversion TablesVI. Solutions to Review ExercisesVII. Word Parts Alphabetized Word Parts and Meanings English Words and Corresponding Word Parts BibliographyGlossary/Index
Peggy C. Leonard, BA, MT, MEd, Chesterfield, MO