Saunders Essentials of Medical Assisting - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 2nd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Or $0.00 with a valid access code
This item has low stock levels and may be back-ordered. We'll let you know if it is back-ordered, and
you will not be charged until the item ships.
Saunders Essentials of Medical Assisting, 2nd Edition, is designed to give you just the right amount of the essential information you need to prepare for your career as a medical assistant. It covers all of the need-to-know information in an organized, approachable format. The condensed information is perfect for shorter programs of study and as a review tool for certification or re-certification for practicing medical assistants. Full-color and visually oriented, this text presents information in manageable segments that give you all the relevant facts, without being overwhelming. With the most up-to-date information on basic body systems; foundational concepts such as medical terminology, nutrition, and full coverage of office concepts and procedures, you’ll have everything you need to know to begin your Medical Assisting career with confidence.
Get the instant access version
- Full-color design is visually stimulating and great for visual learners.
- Helpful studying features guide students through the material, such as: Learning Objectives for every chapter, Key Information summarized in tables throughout the text, and emphasized Key Words!
- Practical Applications case studies at the beginning of each chapter quickly introduce students to real-life Medical Assisting.
- Word Parts and Abbreviations at the end of the Anatomy and Physiology sections reinforce learned medical terminology.
- Illustrated step-by-step Procedures, with charting examples and rationales, show how to perform and document administrative and clinical procedures.
- UPDATED information on Medical Office Technology prepares students for jobs in today’s modern, and often hectic, medical offices.
- NEW Disaster Preparedness content demonstrates how medical offices can work closely with community and health departments during an emergency.
- Newly organized information emphasizes foundational areas of knowledge, with new chapters on Nutrition, Phlebotomy (Venipuncture), and Blood, Lymphatic, and Immune Systems.
Section One: Strategies for Success
1. Successful Learning
2. Becoming a Professional
Section Two: Foundational Concepts
3. Diversity In Health Care Delivery
4. Law and Ethics in Health Care
5. Understanding Human Behavior
6. Understanding Patient Behavior
7. Effective Communicaton
8. Communicating with Patients
9. Nutrition (NEW)
10. Understanding Medical Terminology
Section Three: Anatomy and Physiology
11. Basic Anatomy and Physiology
12. The Circulatory System
13. Blood, Lymphatic, and Immune Systems (NEW – content split off from The Circulatory System)
14. Respiratory System
15. Digestive System
16. Nervous System
17. Sensory System
18. Skeletal System
19. Muscular System
20. Urinary System
21. Reproductive System
22. Endocrine System
23. Integumentary System
Section Four: Administrative Medical Assisting
24. The Medical Office
25. Computers in the Medical Office
26. Medical Office Communication
27. Medical Records and Chart Documentation
28. Financial Management
29. Medical Coding
30. Medical Insurance
Section Five: Clinical Medical Assisting
31. Infection Control and Asepsis
32. Preparing the Examination Room
33. Body Measurements and Vital Signs
34. Medical History Taking
35. Assisting with the Physical Examination
37. Radiography and Diagnostic Testing
38. Therapeutic Procedures
39. Specialty Diagnostic Testing
40. Introduction to the Physician’s Office Laboratory
41. Phlebotomy (NEW)
42. Laboratory Testing in the Physician's Office
43. Understanding Medications
44. Administering Medications
45. Minor Office Surgery
46. Basic First Aid and Medical Office Emergencies
Section Six: Employment and Beyond
47. Beginning Your Job Search
A. Common Abbreviations and Symbols
B. Common Prefixes and Suffixes
C. Common Laboratory Test Values
D. English-to-Spanish Guide
Diane M. Klieger, RN, MBA, CMA (AAMA), Retired Program Director, Medical Assisting; Adjunct Medical Assisting Instructor, Pinellas Technical Education Centers, St. Petersburg, FL, USA