Deliver the best patient care before, during, and after surgery with straightforward information to guide you through each step. Student-friendly features including chapter outlines and summaries, review questions, technique boxes, and a full-color design make even complex material easier to understand. Revised to match the latest AST Core Curriculum guidelines, this new edition covers the topics and procedures from a variety of surgical disciplines you’ll use in practice. Plus, new and revised chapters on technology, postoperative recovery, energy sources, and much more keep you at the cutting edge of the field.
- Vibrant, full-color design with bullets, numbering, and technique boxes makes it easier to read and understand important information.
- Easy-to-follow organization helps you build up your knowledge from chapter to chapter.
- Procedures broken down into surgical goals, pathology, technique, and discussion allow you to learn each surgical procedure step-by-step.
- New Skills DVD provides instructors with the tools to demonstrate the skills their students must master and provides a tool for students to work independently to enhance their knowledge and understanding of each skill.
- Death and Dying chapter details the proper techniques for handling sensitive issues in the operating room.
- Biomedical and Computer Technology chapter includes vital content on technology you’ll use and see in the field with discussions of the latest technological advances.
- Postoperative Recovery chapter helps you understand patient care after a surgical procedure.
- Updated information on energy sources, minimally invasive surgery, diagnostic endoscopy, and robotics follows the AST Core Curriculum and ensures you have the most up-to-date and accurate knowledge for the operating room.
- Content reflects the revised AST Core Curriculum for Surgical Technology guidelines.
- Complete index listings of medical prefixes, suffixes, and root words offer a quick and convenient guide to reinforce your medical vocabulary.
- Chapter outlines, bulleted chapter summaries, and chapter review questions strengthen your understanding of key content.
1. The Surgical Technologist
2. The Patient in Surgery
3. Death and Dying
4. Law and Ethics
5. Introduction to the Health Facility
6. Communication and Teamwork
7. Microbes and The Process of Infection
8. Decontamination, Disinfection, and Sterilization
9. Aseptic Technique
10. Transporting, Transferring, and Positioning
11. Surgical Skin Preparation and Draping
12. Anesthsia, Anesthetics, and Physiological Monitoring
13. Postoperative Recovery and Patient Discharge
14. Perioperative Pharmacology
15. Environmental Hazards
16. Case Planning and Intraoperative Routines
17. The Surgical Wound
18. Biomechanics and Computer Technology
19. Energy Sources in Surgery
20. Diagnostic and Assessment Procedures
21. Minimally Invasive, Endoscopic, and Robotic Assisted Surgery
22. Surgical Instruments
23. General Surgery
24. Gynecological and Obstetrical Surgery
25. Genitourinary Surgery
26. Ophthalmic Surgery
27. Surgery of the Ear, Nose, Pharynx and Larynx
28. OralMaxillofacial Trauma Surgery
29. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
30. Orthopedic Surgery
31. Peripheral Vascular Surgery
32. Thoracic and Pulmonary Surgery
33. Cardiac Surgery
34. Pediatric Surgery