Nutrition Essentials and Diet Therapy - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 11th Edition
- Unique! Cultural boxes incorporated throughout each chapter focus on specific ways in which culture affects nutritional concepts in practice and promote a greater cultural awareness and prepares students to work with diverse clients.
- Unique! Facts and Fallacies identify common myths about nutrition and then present the facts. This feature promotes nutritional education that is based on research and current belief.
- Unique! Teaching Pearls provide practical nutritional counseling tips and analogies.
- Critical Thinking Case Studies cover a variety of client teaching considerations related to various nutritional situations. Each case study is followed by application questions.
- Chapter Challenge Questions and Classroom Activities appear at the end of each chapter and provide the opportunity to review and discuss the content.
- Additional coverage on women and cardiovascular disease provides insight to the importance of prevention of cardiovascular disease.
- Expanded herbal therapy coverage includes content on potential interactions between herbal medications and other types of medication.
- Information on the role that nutrition plays in the prevention of neurodegenerative diseases has been expanded to address the significant growth in the number of individuals being diagnosed with these problems.
- Expanded content on proteins addresses the increase use of protein powders by athletes and the use of enteral and parenteral supplements during chronic and acute illnesses.
- NEW Online Version of Nutritrac Nutrition Analysis Program provides additional tools for learning with an expanded food database of over 5,000 foods in 18 different categories and a complete listing of more than 150 activities. Additional new features for this online version include an ideal body weight (IBW) calculator, a Harris-Benedict calculator to estimate total daily energy needs, and the complete Exchange Lists for Meal Planning.
Section 1 - The Art and Science of Nutrition In Health and Disease Chapter 1: The Art of Nutrition in a Family Context Chapter 2: Carbohydrates, Proteins, and Fats: The Energy Macronutrients of Balanced Meals Chapter 3: The Micronutrients of Balanced Meals: Vitamins, Minerals, Phytochemicals, and Water Chapter 4: Digestion, Absorption, and Metabolism in Health and Disease Section 2 - Chronic and Acute Illness Chapter 5: Insulin Resistance and The Metabolic Syndrome Chapter 6: Obesity and Healthy Weight Management Chapter 7: Cardiovascular Disease Chapter 8: Diabetes Mellitus Chapter 9: Renal Disease Chapter 10: Cancer: Nutrition Prevention and Treatment Section 3 - Life Span and Wellness Concerns in Promoting Health and Managing Illness Chapter 11: Maternal and Infant Nutrition in Health and Disease Chapter 12: Growth and Development Issues in Promoting Good Health Chapter 13: Nutrition Over the Adult Life Span Chapter 14: Public Health Issues in National and International Nutrition Chapter 15: The Nutrition Care Process in the Health Care Setting Appendices - Available online through Evolve Appendix 1 Websites for Nutrition Information and Educational Material Appendix 2 MyPyramid Worksheet Appendix 3 The Exchange Lists for Weight Management Appendix 4 Estimating Body Frame Size Appendix 5 Identifying Anemias Appendix 6 Nutritive Values of Various Foods Appendix 7 Nutritive Value of Selected Ethnic Foods Appendix 8 Fiber Content of Selected Foods Appendix 9 Body Mass Index Appendix 10 Blood Pressure Tables for Children and Adolescents Appendix 11 The DASH Eating Plan Appendix 12 Growth Charts for Boys and Girls from Birth to 18 Years of Age Appendix 13 Child Care Meal Patterns Appendix 14 Food Storage Guidelines Appendix 15 Braden Scale for Pedicting Pressure Sore Risk Glossary Index
Nancy J. Peckenpaugh, MSEd, RD, CDN, CDE, Dietitian in Private Practice, Lifetime Nutrition Services, Ithaca, NY; Dietitian, Office of Dr. Adam Law, Endocrinologist; Consulting Dietitian, Dryden Family Medicine, Lakeside Nursing Home, and Medicaid Obstetrical and Maternal Services (MOMS) of Tompkins County