Carranza's Clinical Periodontology - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 11th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; The most widely used periodontics text, Carranza's Clinical Periodontology provides both print and online access to basic procedures as well as the latest in advanced procedures and techniques in reconstructive, esthetic, and implant therapy. Not only does this book show how to do periodontal procedures, it describes how to best manage the outcomes and explains the evidence supporting each treatment. Written by leading experts Michael Newman, Henry Takei, Perry Klokkevold, and Fermin Carranza, along with a pool of international contributors, this edition also discusses the close connection between oral health and systemic disease. A new Expert Consult website includes the entire, fully searchable contents of the book, and takes learning to a whole new level with content updates, videos, a drug database, and much more.
- Comprehensive coverage describes all aspects of periodontics in a single volume, including periodontal pathology, the etiology of periodontal diseases, the relationship between periodontal disease and systemic health, treatment of periodontal diseases, oral implantology, supportive treatment, and ethics, legal, and practical matters.
- Problem-solving, scenario-based learning opportunities use well-documented case reports to help you learn both basic and advanced procedures and techniques.
- 'Speed to competence' is enhanced with access to print, online, and mobile platforms.
- A unique approach combines evidence-based decision-making, science transfer, and classification/nomenclature throughout every chapter.
- A one-of-a-kind Genetic Factors and Periodontal Disease chapter examines the role of genetic factors in gum disease.
- In-depth information serves as an excellent foundation in preparing for the National Board Dental Exam.
- Expert Consult website offers fast, reliable online access to advanced material, videos, an image collection, a drug database, interactive flash cards, multiple-choice test questions, interactive references, and Pathology Consult -- plus, the entire contents of the book are fully searchable.
- Find core information in the book; additional, advanced information is provided online.
- Consult your book from any computer, anywhere in the world, for the entire life of this edition.
- Keep current with regular updates of the latest periodontal news and information.
- Follow links from biographical citations to the corresponding MEDLINE abstracts.
- See a comprehensive library of pathology photos.
- Coverage of the latest advances includes the emerging link between periodontal disease and systemic health.
- Full-color illustrations depict the newest developments in surgical technology.
- A new Multidisciplinary Approach to Dental and Periodontal Problems chapter discusses the importance of collaborative care in the practice of periodontics.
- Etiology of Periodontal Diseases (Part 4) provides a more comprehensive background in periodontal anatomy, physiology, and pathogenesis.
1. Historical Background of Periodontology
Part 1: The Normal Periodontium
2. Anatomy of the Periodontium
3. Aging and the Periodontium
Part 2: Classification and Epidemiology of Periodontal Diseases
4. Classification of Diseases and Conditions Affecting the Periodontium
5. Epidemiology of Gingival and Periodontal Diseases
Part 3: Periodontal Pathology
Section 1: Gingival Diseases
6. Defense Mechanisms of the Gingiva
7. Gingival Inflammation
8. Clinical Features of Gingivitis
9. Gingival Enlargement
10. Acute Gingival Infections
11. Gingival Diseases in Childhood
12. Desquamative Gingivitis
Section 2: Periodontal Diseases
13. The Periodontal Pocket
14. Bone Loss and Patterns of Bone Destruction
15. Periodontal Response to External Forces
16. Chronic Periodontitis
17. Necrotizing Ulcerative Periodontitis
18. Aggressive Periodontitis
19. Pathology and Management of Periodontal Problems in Patients with HIV Infection
Section 3: Masticatory System Disorders
20. Masticatory System Disorders
Part 4: Etiology of Periodontal Diseases
21. Periodontal Pathogenesis new!
22. The Role of Dental Calculus and Other Predisposing Factors
23. Microbiology of Periodontal Disease
24. Genetic Factors and Periodontal Disease
25. Molecular Biology of Host-Bacterial Interactions NEW!
26. Smoking and Periodontal Disease
Part 5: Relationship Between Periodontal Diseases and Systemic Health
27. Influence of Systemic Disorders on the Periodontium
28. Impact of Periodontal Infection on Systemic Health
29. Oral Malodor
Part 6: Treatment of Periodontal Diseases
Section 1: Diagnosis, Prognosis and Treatment Plan
30. Clinical Diagnosis
31. Radiographic Aids in the Diagnosis of Periodontal Diseases
32. Clinical Risk Assessment
33. Determination of Prognosis
34. Treatment Plan
35. Rationale for Periodontal Treatment
36. Levels of Clinical Significance
37. Periodontal Treatment of Medically Compromised Patients
38. Periodontal Treatment of the Female Patient
39. Periodontal Treatment of Older Adults
40. Treatment of Aggressive and Atypical Forms of Periodontitis
Section 2: Treatment of Periodontal Emergencies
41. Treatment of Acute Gingival Diseases
42. Treatment of the Periodontal Abscess
Section 3: Nonsurgical Therapy
43. Phase 1 Periodontal Therapy
44. Plaque Control for the Periodontal Patient
45. Scaling and Root Planing
46. Sonic and Ultrasonic Instrumentation and Irrigation
47. Antimicrobial Agents
48. Host Modulation
49. Occlusal Evaluation and Therapy
50. Adjunctive Role of Orthodontic Therapy
51. The Periodontic-Endodontic Continuum
Section 4: Surgical Therapy
52. Phase 2 Periodontal Therapy
53. Surgical Anatomy of Periodontal and Implant Areas
54. General Principles of Periodontal Surgery
55. Conscious Sedation NEW!
56. Gingival Surgical Techniques
57. The Periodontal Flap
58. Treatment of Gingival Enlargement
59. The Flap Technique for Pocket Therapy
60. Resective Osseous Surgery
61. Reconstructive Periodontal Surgery
62. Treatment of Furcation Involvements
63. Plastic and Esthetic Surgery of the Periodontium
64. Technological Advances in Periodontal Surgery
Section 5: Periodontal-Restorative Interrelationships
65. Preparation of the Periodontium for Restorative Dentistry
66. Periodontal-Restorative Interrelationships
Michael G. Newman, DDS, Professor Emeritus, Section of Periodontics, School of Dentistry, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, Henry Takei, DDS, MS, Distinguished Clinical Professor, Section of Periodontics, Clinical Professor, Section of Periodontics, School of Dentistry, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, Perry R. Klokkevold, DDS, MS, Associate Professor, Section of Periodontics, Program Director, Postgraduate Periodontics Residency, School of Dentistry, University of California, Los Angeles, CA and Fermin A. Carranza, Dr. ODONT, Professor Emeritus, Section of Periodontics, School of Dentistry, University of California, Los Angeles, CA