Health Information - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 4th Edition
Following the AHIMA standards for education for both two-year HIT programs and four-year HIA programs, Health Information: Management of a Strategic Resource, 4th Edition describes the deployment of information technology and your role as a HIM professional in the development of the electronic health record. It provides clear coverage of health information infrastructure and systems along with health care informatics including technology, applications, and security. Practical applications provide hands-on experience in abstracting and manipulating health information data. From well-known HIM experts Mervat Abdelhak, Sara S. Grostick, and Mary Alice Hanken, this book includes examples from diverse areas of health care delivery such as long-term care, public health, home health care, and ambulatory care. An e-book version makes it even easier to learn to manage and use health data electronically.
- A focus on the electronic health care record helps you learn electronic methods of organizing, maintaining, and abstracting from the patient health care record.
- Learning features include a chapter outline, key words, common abbreviations, and learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter, and references at the end.
- Unique! Availability in the e-book format helps you in researching, abstracting, and managing data electronically.
- A study guide on the companion Evolve website includes interactive exercises and cases containing real-life medical records, letting you apply what you've learned from the book and in the classroom.
- Evolve logos within the textbook connect the material to the Evolve website, tying together the textbook, student study guide and online resources.
- Well-known and respected authors include Mervat Abdelhak and Mary Alice Hanken, past presidents of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), and Sara S. Grostick, a 2007 AHIMA Triumph Award winner for excellence in education.
- Self-assessment quizzes test your learning and retention, with answers available on the companion Evolve website.
- Did You Know? boxes highlight interesting facts to enhance learning.
Section 1: Foundations of Health Information Management
1. Health Care Systems
2. The Health Informatics and Information Management Profession
Section 2: Health Care Data and Information Systems
3. Health Information Infrastructure and Systems
4. Health Data Concepts
5. Electronic Health Record Systems
6. Classification Systems, Clinical Vocabularies, and Terminology
Section 3: Health Care Informatics
7. Technology, Applications, and Security
8. Information Systems Life Cycle and Project Management
9. Managing Electronic Health Record Systems: Collaboration and Implementation
Section 4: Data Management and Use
10. Statistics and Data Presentation
11. Research and Epidemiology
12. Performance Management and Patient Safety
13. Data Reporting, Interpretation, and Use
14. Privacy and Health Law
Section 5: Management
15. Human Resource Management
16. Operational Management
17. Revenue Cycle and Financial Management
Mervat Abdelhak, PhD, RHIA, FAHIMA, Department Chair and Associate Professor, Health Information Management, School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, Sara Grostick, MA, RHIA, FAHIMA, Director, Health Information Management Program and Associate Professor, Retired, School of Health Related Professions, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL and Mary Alice Hanken, PhD, CHPS, RHIA, Independent Consultant; Senior Lecturer, Health Information Administration Program,School o fPublic Health and Community Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA