Leadership and Nursing Care Management - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource,5th Edition
Uniquely organized around the AONE competencies, this trusted resource features the most up-to-date, evidence-based blend of practice and theory related to the issues that impact nursing management and leadership today. A conversational writing style gives students an easy-to-understand, in-depth look at these prevalent issues. Key topics include the nursing professional's role in law and ethics, staffing and scheduling, delegation, cultural considerations, care management, human resources, outcomes management, safe work environments, preventing employee injury, and time and stress management.
- Research Notes in each chapter summarize relevant nursing leadership and management studies and show how research findings can be applied in practice.
- Leadership and Management Behavior boxes in each chapter highlight the performance and conduct expected of nurse leaders, managers, and executives.
- Leading and Managing Defined boxes in each chapter list key terminology related to leadership and management, and their definitions.
- Case Studies at the end of each chapter present real-world leadership and management situations and illustrate how key chapter concepts can be applied to actual practice.
- Critical Thinking Questions at the end of each chapter present clinical situations followed by critical thinking questions that allow you to reflect on chapter content, critically analyze the information, and apply it to the situation.
- A new Patient Acuity chapter uses evidence-based tools to discuss how patient acuity measurement can be done in ways that are specific to nursing.
- A reader-friendly format breaks key content into easy-to-scan bulleted lists.
- Chapters are divided according to the AONE competencies for nurse leaders, managers, and executives.
- Practical Tips boxes highlight useful strategies for applying leadership and management skills to practice.
Part I: LEADERSHIP
1. Leadership and Management Principles
2. Change and Innovation
3. Organizational Climate and Culture
Part II: PROFESSIONALISM
4. Critical Thinking and Decision-Making Skills
5. Managing Time and Stress
6. Legal and Ethical Issues
Part III: COMMUNICATION AND RELATIONSHIP BUILDING
7. Communication and Care Coordination
8. Team Building and Working with Effective Groups
10. Power and Conflict
11. Workplace Diversity
Part IV: KNOWLEDGE OF THE HEALTH CARE ENVIRONMENT
12. Case & Population Health Management
13. Organizational Structure
14. Decentralization & Shared Governance
15. Professional Practice Models
16. Evidence-Based Practice: Strategies for Nursing Leaders
17. Quality and Safety
18. Measuring and Managing Outcomes
Part V: BUSINESS SKILLS
19. Strategic Management
20. Nursing Shortage: Recruitment and Retention
21. Staffing and Scheduling
22. Budgeting, Productivity and Costing Out Nursing
23. Performance Appraisal
24. Prevention of Workplace Violence
25. All-Hazards Disaster Preparedness
26. Data Management and Informatics
Diane Huber, PhD, RN, FAAN, NEA-BC, Professor, College of Nursing and College of Public Health, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA