Medical Terminology: A Short Course - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card),6th Edition
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; Quickly master the basics of medical terminology and begin speaking and writing terms almost immediately! Based on Davi Chabner's effective learning methods, this book's straightforward approach omits time-consuming, nonessential information and focuses on helping you actively build a working vocabulary of the most frequently encountered suffixes, prefixes, and word roots. Terms are introduced in the context of human anatomy and physiology to help you understand exactly what they mean, and case studies and vignettes throughout the book demonstrate how they're used in practice. With all this plus NEW animations and games on the companion CD, you'll be amazed at how easily medical terminology becomes part of your vocabulary.
- Self-teaching text/workbook approach reinforces learning every step of the way with labeling diagrams, pronunciation tests, and review sheets throughout the book.
- Simple, clear, non-technical explanations of terms demystify medical terminology even if you've had little or no background in medicine or science.
- UNIQUE Medical Scramble activity challenges you to unscramble the letters of terms – a fun way to improve your spelling accuracy and word recognition.
- UNIQUE Medical Detective activity on the student CD presents scenarios with missing information that you must locate in order to correctly answer questions.
- Case studies and vignettes illustrate real-life applications of medical terms.
- UNIQUE Illustrations in the Spanish glossary include labels in both English and Spanish to help you understand terms you are likely to encounter in the health care setting.
- Additional online student resources on the companion Evolve website include extra quizzes, an English-Spanish glossary of over 5,000 terms, and the Body Spectrum Electronic Anatomy Coloring Book program.
- New audio CD packaged with the text provides correct pronunciations of terms and definitions.
- The improved student CD packaged with the text offers even more interactive ways to learn, featuring NEW Archie MD animations, fun games, labeling exercises, Medical Detective activities, and an image glossary.
- Spotlights highlight easily confused medical terms to improve your ability to distinguish the meanings of terms.
- Picture Show activities present an image of a condition, disorder, or structure, followed by a series of questions about the image, giving you the opportunity to apply what you've learned.
- More NEW, updated photos of pathology familiarize you with medical conditions and associated terminology.
1. Basic Word Structure 2. Organization of the Body 3. Suffixes 4. Prefixes 5. Medical Specialists and Case Reports
Appendix I Body Systems Appendix II Diagnostic Tests and Procedures Appendix III Abbreviations, Acronyms, and Symbols Appendix IV Health Careers
Glossary of Medical Terms Glossary of Word Parts Glossary of English to Spanish Terms
Davi-Ellen Chabner, BA, MAT, Newton Centre, MA