Essentials of Sonography and Patient Care - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 3rd Edition
Providing a solid foundation in sonography, Essentials of Sonography and Patient Care, 3rd Edition prepares you to succeed in the classroom and in practice. It describes the origins and evolution of diagnostic medical sonography, and includes proven study techniques such as note taking, effective listening, and test-taking strategies. Addressing the clinical environment, this book covers topics such as taking a patient's vital signs, safety considerations, body mechanics, patient transfer, infection control, emergency procedures, and assisting patients with special needs. Career discussions include the sonographer's role in various clinical settings, ethics and professionalism, and job search and interview techniques. Written by expert sonographer Marveen Craig, Essentials of Sonography and Patient Care points you toward a sound future in sonography.
- The only text devoted entirely to entry-level students, providing a foundation of essential knowledge.
- Step-by-step descriptions of basic medical procedures and patient care show sonographers how to safely perform procedures and how to interact with patients in a clinical setting.
- Updated instrumentation information on current technology in the field of ultrasound.
- Expanded information on body mechanics and proper scanning posture, helping sonographers avoid repetitive-motion musculoskeletal injuries.
- Objectives and Key Terms are listed in chapter openers.
- Frequently needed patient instructions in Spanish.
- Updated instrumentation information.
- Expanded information on body mechanics and proper scanning posture to avoid repetitive motion musculoskeletal injury.
- Electronic image archiving and patient records, including HIPAA information.
- New information on ethics, scope of practice, and practice standards.
- New chapter on legal considerations for sonographers.
- Evolve Resources for instructors, saving preparation time and enhancing the text.
- Note boxes draw attention to important information.
Chapter 1 The Origins and Evaluation of Diagnostic Medical Sonography.
Chapter 2 Sonographer Development
Chapter 3 The Sonographer as a Student
New! Chapter 4 Sonographer Safety Issues
Chapter 5 Patient-Sonographer Interaction: Medical Techniques and Patient Care
Chapter 6 Communications and Critical Thinking Skills
New! Chapter 7 Clinical Assessments and Sonographic Procedures
New! Chapter 8 Medico-Legal Aspects of Sonography
Chapter 9 Ethics and Professionalism
New! Chapter 10 Sound Futures
New! Chapter 11 Professional Development and Leadership
New! The Patient Care Partnership
Commonly Encountered Lab Tests And Values
Common Medical Abbreviations
New! Abbreviated Glossary of Spanish Phrases
M. Robert de Jong, RDMS, RDCS, RVT, FSDMS, Radiology Technical Manager - Ultrasound, The Russell H. Morgan Department of Radiology and Radiological Science, The Johns Hopkins Hospital,