The Language of Medicine - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource,10th Edition
Bring medical terminology to life with Davi-Ellen Chabner's bestselling The Language of Medicine, 10th Edition! By presenting medical terms within the context of the body’s anatomy and physiology, and in health and disease, this proven resource makes it easy to learn a working medical vocabulary built on the most frequently encountered prefixes, suffixes, and combining forms. Practical exercises and case studies demonstrate how medical terms are used in practice. Add an engaging student Evolve website with medical animations and videos, word games, flash cards, and more, and you’ll be ready to communicate confidently in the clinical setting and succeed in your healthcare career.
- Simple, clear, non-technical explanations demystify medical terminology even if you have little or no background in medicine or science.
- Practical applications such as case reports, operative and diagnostic tests, and laboratory and x-ray reports demonstrate the use of medical terminology in practice.
- Self-study text/workbook approach reinforces learning every step of the way with labeling diagrams, pronunciation tests, and review sheets.
- Full-color illustrations depict anatomy, physiology, and pathology, putting medical terms in the context of the body's structure and function.
- Comprehensive glossaries and appendices serve as quick references for use in the classroom and on the job.
The Pageburst eBook for this title offers these additional features:
- A wealth of self-assessment exercises
- Compatibility with desktop computers, as well as iPads, smartphones, and other mobile devices
- Easy access to Evolve resources
- Engaging, interactive exercises that allow you to:
- label anatomical drawings
- understand the physiology of a system
- practice using terms in context
- hear the proper pronunciation of medical terms
- reinforce your mastery of word parts
- study the meaning of word parts and terms
- and much more!
- NEW! In Person narratives help you understand diseases and conditions from the patient’s perspective.
- NEW! A Closer Look highlights particular conditions.
- NEW! Images and photos illustrate difficult terms and procedures.
- NEW! Terms and definitions keep you up to date with healthcare advances.
- More Spotlights identify and clarify potentially confusing terminology.
- Error-prone abbreviations list derived from the Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP) list alerts you to abbreviations that should not be used in the clinical setting.
- Basic Word Structure
- Terms Pertaining to the Body as a Whole
- Digestive System
- Additional Suffixes and Digestive System Terminology
- Urinary System
- Female Reproductive System
- Male Reproductive System
- Nervous System
- Cardiovascular System
- Respiratory System
- Blood System
- Lymphatic and Immune Systems
- Musculoskeletal System
- Sense Organs: The Eye and the Ear
- Endocrine System
- Cancer Medicine (Oncology)
- Radiology and Nuclear Medicine
- Medical Word Parts to English
- English to Medical Word Parts
Appendix I: Plurals
Appendix II: Abbreviations, Acronyms, Eponyms, and Symbols
Appendix III: Normal Hematologic Reference Values and Implications of Abnormal Results
Appendix IV: Drugs
Appendix V: Complementary and Alternative Medicine Terms
Davi-Ellen Chabner, BA, MAT, Newton Centre, MA