Medical-Surgical Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 9th Edition
Over the past three decades, more and more nursing educators have turned to Lewis: Medical-Surgical Nursing for its accurate and up-to-date coverage of the latest trends, hot topics, and clinical developments in the field of medical-surgical nursing — and the new ninth edition is no exception! Written by a dedicated team of expert authors led by Sharon Lewis, Medical-Surgical Nursing, 9th Edition offers the same easy-to-read style that students have come to love, along with the timely and thoroughly accurate content that educators have come to trust. Completely revised and updated content explores patient care in various clinical settings and focuses on key topics such as prioritization, critical thinking, patient safety, and NCLEX® exam preparation. Best of all — a complete collection of interactive student resources creates a more engaging learning environment to prepare you for clinical practice.
- Highly readable format gives you a strong foundation in medical-surgical nursing.
- Content written and reviewed by leading experts in the field ensures that the information is comprehensive, current, and clinically accurate.
- Bridge to NCLEX Examination review questions at the end of each chapter reinforce key content while helping you prepare for the NCLEX examination with both standard and alternate item format questions.
- UNIQUE! "Levels of Care" approach explains how nursing care varies for different levels of health and illness.
- More than 50 comprehensive nursing care plans in the book and online incorporate NIC, NOC, and current NANDA diagnoses, defining characteristics, expected outcomes, specific nursing interventions with rationales, evaluation criteria, and collaborative problems.
- Over 800 full-color illustrations and photographs clearly demonstrate disease processes and related anatomy and physiology.
- NEW! Unfolding case studies included throughout each assessment chapter help you apply important concepts and procedures to real-life patient care.
- NEW! Managing Multiple Patients case studies at the end of each section give you practice applying your knowledge of various disorders and help you prioritize and delegate patient care.
- NEW! Informatics boxes discuss how technology is used by nurses and patients in health care settings.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of evidence-based practice helps you understand how to apply the latest research to real-life patient care.
- NEW! Expanded Safety Alerts throughout the book cover surveillance for high-risk situations.
- NEW! Separate chapter on genetics expands on this key topic that impacts nearly every condition with a focus on the practical application to nursing care of patients.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of delegation includes additional Delegation Decisions boxes covering issues such as hypertension and postoperative patient care.
- NEW! Genetic Risk Alerts and Genetic Link headings highlight specific genetic issues related to body system assessments and disorders.
- NEW! Revised art program enhances the book’s visual appeal and lends a more contemporary look throughout.
Section One – Concepts in Nursing Practice
- Professional Nursing Practice
- Health Disparities and Culturally Competent Care
- Health History and Physical Examination
- Patient and Caregiver Teaching
- Chronic Illness and Older Adults
- Complementary and Alternative Therapies
- Stress and Stress Management
- Sleep and Sleep Disorders
- Palliative Care at End of Life
- Addictive Behaviors
- Inflammation and Wound Healing
- Genetics and Genomics
- Altered Immune Responses and Transplantation
- Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Imbalances
- Nursing Management: Preoperative Care
- Nursing Management: Intraoperative Care
- Nursing Management: Postoperative Care
- Nursing Assessment: Visual and Auditory Systems
- Nursing Management: Visual and Auditory Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Integumentary System
- Nursing Management: Integumentary Problems
- Nursing Management: Burns
- Nursing Assessment: Respiratory System
- Nursing Management: Upper Respiratory Problems
- Nursing Management: Lower Respiratory Problems
- Nursing Management: Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases
- Nursing Assessment: Hematologic System
- Nursing Management: Hematologic Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Cardiovascular System
- Nursing Management: Hypertension
- Nursing Management: Coronary Artery Disease and Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Nursing Management: Heart Failure
- Nursing Management: Dysrhythmias
- Nursing Management: Inflammatory and Structural Heart Disorders
- Nursing Management: Vascular Disorders
- Nursing Assessment: Gastrointestinal System
- Nursing Management: Nutritional Problems
- Nursing Management: Obesity
- Nursing Management: Upper Gastrointestinal Problems
- Nursing Management: Lower Gastrointestinal Problems
- Nursing Management: Liver, Pancreas, and Biliary Tract Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Urinary System
- Nursing Management: Renal and Urologic Problems
- Nursing Management: Acute Renal Failure and Chronic Kidney Disease
- Nursing Assessment: Endocrine System
- Nursing Management: Diabetes Mellitus
- Nursing Management: Endocrine Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Reproductive System
- Nursing Management: Breast Disorders
- Nursing Management: Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Nursing Management: Female Reproductive Problems
- Nursing Management: Male Reproductive Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Nervous System
- Nursing Management: Acute Intracranial Problems
- Nursing Management: Stroke
- Nursing Management: Chronic Neurologic Problems
- Nursing Management: Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia
- Nursing Management: Peripheral Nerve and Spinal Cord Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Musculoskeletal System
- Nursing Management: Musculoskeletal Trauma and Orthopedic Surgery
- Nursing Management: Musculoskeletal Problems
- Nursing Management: Arthritis and Connective Tissue Diseases
- Nursing Management: Critical Care
- Nursing Management: Shock, Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome, and Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome
- Nursing Management: Respiratory Failure and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
- Nursing Management: Emergency, Terrorism, and Disaster Nursing
Section Two – Pathophysiologic Mechanisms of Disease
Section Three – Perioperative Care
Section Four – Problems Related to Altered Sensory Input
Section Five – Problems of Oxygenation: Ventilation
Section Six – Problems of Oxygenation: Transport
Section Seven – Problems of Oxygenation: Perfusion
Section Eight – Problems of Ingestion, Digestion, Absorption, and Elimination
Section Nine – Problems of Urinary Function
Section Ten – Problems Related to Regulatory and Reproductive Mechanisms
Section Eleven – Problems Related to Movement and Coordination
Section Twelve – Nursing Care in Specialized Settings
Appendix A. Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers
Appendix B. Nursing Diagnoses
Appendix C. Laboratory Reference Intervals
Sharon L. Lewis, RN, PhD, FAAN, Research Professor, Castella Distinguished Professor, School of Nursing, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX, Linda Bucher, RN, PhD, CEN, CNE, Professor, School of Nursing, University of Delaware, Newark, DE; Staff Nurse, Emergency Department, Virtua Memorial Hospital, Mt. Holly, NJ, Margaret M. Heitkemper, RN, PhD, FAAN, Professor and Chairperson, Biobehavioral Nursing and Health Systems, Elizabeth Sterling Soule Endowed Chair in Nursing, School of Nursing; Adjunct Professor, Division of Gastroenterology, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA and Shannon Ruff Dirksen, RN, PhD, Associate Professor, College of Nursing and Health Innovation, Arizona State University, Phoenix, AZ