Master the art of caring for children with most effective, efficient, and affordable title on pediatric nursing care. Taking on a family focus, this student-friendly text teaches growth, development, and information on the major body system alterations. Plus, dramatically streamlined content and new learning tools make this new edition even more tailored to your learning needs.
- Student-friendly writing style makes material more accessible.
- Pathophysiology boxes illustrate how disease conditions develop to provide a scientific basis for understanding the nursing care of an illness.
- Clinical Reference sections review basic anatomy and physiology, discuss pediatric differences, describe common diagnostics tests, and list commonly prescribed medications.
- Want to Know boxes assist with instructing parents and children about self-care in the home and follow-up care in community-based health care settings.
- Photo Stories visually depict various nursing roles in diverse care settings.
- Communication Cues suggest effective ways for nurses to facilitate understanding and elicit necessary information in exchanges with the child and/or parent.
- Critical to Remember boxes identify practices required to deliver safe care.
- Critical Thinking Exercises apply learning to practice via case study scenarios.
- Drug Guides provide quick reference on the pediatric uses and nursing implications of specific drugs.
- Procedure boxes outline step-by-step instructions for common nursing tasks.
- Health Promotion boxes emphasize a wellness approach and pediatric health priorities based on AAP recommendations.
- Companion CD-ROM enclosed with the text provides an integrative, comprehensive approach to textbook principles through pediatric assessment video clips, animations, an audio glossary including Spanish pronunciations, and NCLEX„¥ review questions.
- Using Research to Improve Practice boxes help you understand how to research and determine proper care and procedures.
- Beautiful full-color illustrations provide realistic, visually appealing interpretations of pediatric nursing in action.
Unit I Introduction to Child Health Nursing
1. Foundations of Child Health Nursing
Unit II Growth and Development: The Child and the Family
2. Family-Centered Nursing Care
3. Communicating with Children and Families
4. Health Promotion for the Developing Child
5. Health Promotion for the Infant
6. Health Promotion During Early Childhood
7. Health Promotion for the School-Age Child
8. Health Promotion for the Adolescent
Unit III Special Considerations in Caring for Children
9. Physical Assessment of Children
10. Emergency Care of the Child
11. The Ill Child in the Hospital and Other Care Settings
12. The Child with a Chronic Condition or Terminal Illness
13. Principles and Procedures for Nursing Care of Children
14. Medicating Infants and Children
15. Pain Management for Children
Unit IV Caring for Children with Health Problems
16. The Child with an Infectious Disease
17. The Child with an Immunologic Alteration
18. The Child with a Fluid and Electrolyte Alteration
19. The Child with a Gastrointestinal Alteration
20. The Child with a Genitourinary Alteration
21. The Child with a Respiratory Alteration
22. The Child with a Cardiovascular Alteration
23. The Child with a Hematologic Alteration
24. The Child with Cancer
25. The Child with an Integumentary Alteration
26. The Child with a Musculoskeletal Alteration
27. The Child with an Endocrine or Metabolic Alteration
28. The Child with a Neurologic Alteration
29. The Child with a Psychosocial Disorder
30. The Child with a Cognitive Impairment
31. The Child with a Sensory Alteration
A. Recommendations for Preventive Pediatric Health Care
B. Growth Charts
C. Normal Blood Pressure Readings for Children