Communication in Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 7th Edition
Go beyond theory and start to master the essential communication skills and techniques you’ll need throughout all areas of nursing practice. Communication in Nursing, 7th Edition uses a personal and empathetic approach, along with unique artistic features, to help you develop a deeper understanding of the importance of communication. Comprehensive, step-by-step guidelines teach you how to establish patient relationships, and new QSEN-specific exercises help you learn to connect more effectively with patients, co-workers, and managers for better clinical outcomes. Real-life clinical scenarios, chapter exercises, and a new writing tutorial also offer endless opportunities to hone your skills.
- Wit & Wisdom boxes provide a humorous, personal approach to communication theory and application.
- Discussion of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator helps you recognize different styles of communication and enhance your own.
- Moments of Connection boxes highlight the outcomes and benefits of successful communication.
- Poetry excerpts in every chapter provide inspiration and insight.
- Focus on therapeutic spirituality presents a holistic approach that helps enrich your patient relationships.
- Guidelines on communicating with populations with special needs prepare you to engage the widest variety of patients.
- Revised chapter exercises reinforce concepts and help you practice your communication skills.
- New Communicating at the End of Life chapter provides strategies for effective communication and creative expression with patients near the end of life.
- Revised Understanding Each Other: Communication and Culture chapter helps you better understand diverse patient backgrounds and foster more productive relationships.
PART 1: Getting Started: Basic Communication Competence
1. Responsible, Assertive Care Communication in Nursing
2. The Client-Nurse Relationship: A Helping Relationship
3. Solving Problems Together
4. Understanding Each Other: Communication and Culture
5. Working Together in Groups
6. Electronic Communication
PART 2: Building Relationships
11. Self Disclosure
13. Asking Questions
14. Expressing Opinions
PART 3: Building Confidence
17. Requesting Support
18. Overcoming Evaluation Anxiety
22. Positive Self-Talk
PART 4: Meeting Challenges
24. Refusing Unreasonable Requests
25. Communicating Assertively and Responsibly with Distressed Clients and Colleagues
26. Communicating Assertively and Responsibly with Aggressive Clients and Colleagues
27. Communicating Assertively and Responsibly with Unpopular Clients
28. Managing Team Conflict Assertively and Responsibly
29. Communicating at the End of Life
30. Continuing the Commitment
Julia Balzer Riley, RN, MN, AHN-BC, REACE, President, Constant Source Seminars, Ellenton, FL