Introduction to Medical-Surgical Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 6th Edition
With just the right level of information to equip students to effectively care for adults and older adults, Linton's Introduction to Medical-Surgical Nursing, 5th Edition is the leading LPN/LVN text in its field. Covering both med-surg and psychiatric mental health conditions and disorders, it addresses the LPN/LVN's role in a variety of care settings, emphasizes culturally competent care and holistic nursing, and thoroughly covers all relevant NCLEX-PN Test Plan content. Abundant real-life case studies clearly show readers how to apply what they've learned to clinical practice.
- Features separate chapters on common, high-profile disorders (including hypertension, diabetes, and shock), providing an in-depth understanding for patient care.
- Offers foundational units on basic concepts related to the health care system, care settings, the nursing process, leadership, nutrition, the older adult, growth and nutrition, legal/ethical considerations, evidence-based nursing care, and many more essential topics, avoiding repetition later in the text
- Includes a separate, comprehensive unit on the older adult and related disorders — no other LPN/LVN med-surg text has as much coverage of this primary patient group.
- Includes a separate, comprehensive unit on psychosocial responses to illness, psychiatric disorders, and substance abuse — eliminating the need for a separate psychiatric mental health nursing text.
- Emphasizes content related to the NCLEX-PN Test Plan, including health promotion, nutrition, legal/ethical issues, HIPAA, and prevention of medication/medical errors.
- Offers in-depth pharmacology coverage: the Pharmacology Tutorial covers drug classifications, how drugs work, and nursing responsibilities; Pharmacology Capsules boxes provide medication information, precautions for use, interactions, and side/adverse effects; and Pharmacology and Medications tables in body systems chapters include classification, use/action, side/adverse effects, and nursing interventions — all with the goal of reducing medication errors on the job and equipping you to pass the NCLEX exam.
- Assists with assignment and supervision, helping you assign tasks to nurse assistants, patient care techs, and unlicensed assistive personnel, and making sure you understand the difference between delegation, management, supervision, and assignment of tasks on the health care team.
- Features Diagnostic Tests and Procedures tables for a quick reference to MRI, CT, Doppler flow, lumbar puncture tests for neurologic disorders, and much more.
- Highlights timely information with Health Promotion boxes, Cultural Considerations boxes, Nutrition Considerations boxes, and Complementary and Alternative Therapies boxes.
- Provides bulleted lists of nursing instructions for Patient Teaching Plans, stressing the role and responsibility of the LPN/LVN to reinforce patient education.
- Provides consistent Nursing Care Plans that reinforce the nursing process and focus on critical thinking, and Put on Your Thinking Cap Critical Thinking boxes encourage you to pause and consider the practical implications of what you have just read.
- Highlights safety and risk factors with a new Safety Considerations icon, alerting you to potential risks in the clinical setting.
- Emphasizes evidence-based practice, providing specific examples of how scientific evidence can justify and support patient care.
- Offers a unique focus on prioritization throughout, with top priorities for each major disorder emphasized in all nursing care sections, to help you better prepare for the NCLEX exam.
- Get Ready for the NCLEX-PN Examination! includes Key Points, Review Questions, and Case Studies that address the NCLEX Client Needs categories of Safe and Effective Care Environment, Physiological Integrity, Psychosocial Integrity, and Health Promotion and Maintenance. An excellent review for course assessments and the NCLEX exam!
Enhanced resources on Evolve include:
- Get Ready for the NCLEX-PN Examination! includes interactive prioritization exercises, case studies, review questions, and a pharmacology tutorial.
- Fluids and Electrolytes Tutorial
- Body Spectrum A&P Coloring Book
- Spanish/English Glossary
- Laboratory Reference Values
- Expanded Audio Glossary
- Animations of anatomy and physiology and procedures
Unit I Patient Care Concepts 1. The Health Care System 2. Nursing in Varied Patient Care Settings 3. Legal and Ethical Considerations 4. The Leadership Role of the Licensed Practical Nurse 5. The Nurse-Patient Relationship 6. Cultural Aspects of Nursing Care 7. The Nurse and the Family 8. Health and Illness 9. Nutrition 10. Developmental Processes 11. The Older Patient 12. The Nursing Process and Critical Thinking
Unit II Pysiologic Responses to Illness 13. Inflammation, Infection, and Immunity 14. Fluid and Electrolytes 15. Pain Management
Unit III Acute Care 16. First Aid, Emergency Care, and Disaster Management 17. Surgical Care 18. Intravenous Therapy 19. Shock
Unit IV Long-Term Care and Home Health Care 20. Falls 21. Immobility 22. Delirium and Dementia 23. Incontinence 24. Loss, Death, and End-of-Life Care
Unit V Cancer 25. The Patient with Cancer 26. The Patient with an Ostomy
Unit VI Neurologic Disorders 27. Neurologic Disorders 28. Cerebrovascular Accident 29. Spinal Cord Injury
Unit VII Respiratory Disorders 30. Disorders of the Upper Respiratory Tract: Nose, Sinuses, Throat 31. Acute Disorders of the Lower Respiratory Tract 32. Chronic Disorders of the Lower Respiratory Tract
Unit VIII Hematologic and Immunologic disorders 33. Hematologic Disorders 34. Immunologic Disorders 35. Human Immunodeficiency Virus and Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
Unit IX Cardiovascular Disorders 36. Cardiac Disorders 37. Vascular Disorders 38. Hypertension
Unit X Digestive Disorders 39. Disorders of the Upper Digestive Tract 40. Disasters of the Lower Digestive Tract 41. Liver, Gallbladder, and Pancreatic Disorders
Unit XI Urologic Disorders 42. Urologic Disorders
Unit XII Musculoskeletal Disorders 43. Connective Tissue Disorders 44. Fractures 45. Amputations
Unit XIII Endocrine Disorders 46. Pituitary and Adrenal Disorders 47. Thyroid and Parathyroid Disorders 48. Diabetes Mellitus and Hypoglycemia
Unit XIV Reproductive Disorders 49. Female Reproductive Disorders 50. Male Reproductive Disorders 51. Sexually Transmitted Infections
Unit XV Integumentary Disorders 52. Skin Disorders
Unit XVI Disorders of the Eyes and Ears 53. Eye and Vision Disorders 54. Ear and Hearing Disorders
Unit XVII Mental Health and Illness 55. Psychologic Responses to Illness 56. Psychiatric Disorders 57. Substance-Related and Addictive Disorders Glossary Index
Adrianne Dill Linton, PhD, RN, FAAN, Professor and Chair, Department of Family Community Care Systems, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, School of Nursing, San Antonio, TX