Workbook for Step-by-Step Medical Coding, 2013 Edition,
Strengthen your ability to code accurately and obtain the correct reimbursement for medical services with this helpful workbook. Specifically designed to parallel the content of Carol J. Buck's Step-By-Step Medical Coding, 2013 Edition, it provides more than 1,500 questions and terminology exercises that cover both the ICD-9 and ICD-10 diagnosis coding systems, and includes over 90 original source documents to familiarize you with the materials you'll encounter in practice.
- Dual coding in chapters 13-31 (where both ICD-10 and ICD-9 answers are provided for every question requiring an ICD answer) ensures you can code using the sets of both today and tomorrow.
- Complete coverage of the new ICD-10 code set prepares you for the eventual transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10.
- Three types of activities help you master key concepts and apply your knowledge:
- Theory: fill-in-the-blank, multiple-choice, and true/false questions
- Practical: line coding exercises
- Reports: practice coding with actual medical record documentation
- Consistent question format with odd numbered answers provided mirrors the format of the main text to improve your coding skills and promote critical thinking.
- Over 90 original source documents, cleared of all confidential information, provide real-world experience with the reports you will encounter on the job.
- Updated content presents the latest coding information so you can practice with the most current information available.
- Reimbursement, HIPAA, and Compliance
- An Overview of ICD-10-CM
- ICD-10-CM Outpatient Coding and Reporting Guidelines
- Using ICD-10-CM
- Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-10-CM Chapters 1-10)
- Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-10-CM Chapters 11-14)
- Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-10-CM Chapters 15-21)
- An Overview of ICD-9-CM
- ICD-9-CM Outpatient Coding and Reporting Guidelines
- Using ICD-9-CM
- Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-9-CM Chapters 1-8)
- Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-9-CM Chapters 9-17)
- Introduction to CPT and Level II National Codes (HCPCS)
- Evaluation and Management (E/M) Services
- Surgery Guidelines and General Surgery
- Integumentary System
- Musculoskeletal System
- Respiratory System
- Cardiovascular System
- Hemic, Lymphatic, Mediastinum, and Diaphragm
- Digestive System
- Urinary and Male Genital Systems
- Reproductive, Intersex Surgery, Female Genital System, and Maternity Care and Delivery
- Endocrine and Nervous Systems
- Eye, Ocular Adnexa, Auditory, and Operating Microscope
- Inpatient Coding
Appendix A: Reports
Appendix B: Answers to Workbook Questions
Carol J. Buck, MS, CPC, CPC-H, CCS-P, Former Program Director, Medical Secretarial Programs, Northwest Technical College, East Grand Forks, MN