Medical Coding Online for Step-by-Step Medical Coding, 2013 Edition,
- Dual coding in Units 4 and 5 (where both ICD-10 and ICD-9 answers are provided for every exercise, chapter review, and workbook question) ensures you can code using the systems of both today and tomorrow.
- Complete coverage of the new ICD-10 code set in Unit 2 prepares you for the eventual transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10.
- Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting boxes in Units 2, 3, and 5 present the official outpatient and inpatient guidelines alongside text discussions.
- Concrete "real-life" coding examples help you apply important coding principles and practices to actual scenarios from the field.
- Over 500 total illustrations of medical procedures or conditions help you understand the services being coded.
- Four coding question variations develop your coding ability and critical thinking skills:
- One answer blank for coding questions that require a one-code answer
- Multiple answer blanks for coding questions that require a multiple-code answer
- Identifiers next to the answer blank(s) to guide you through the most difficult coding scenarios
- Answer blanks with a preceding symbol (3 interlocking circles) indicates that the user must decide the number of codes necessary to correctly answer the question
- In-text exercises, Quick Checks, and Toolbox features reinforce coding rules and concepts, emphasize key information, and test your retention and understanding.
- From the Trenches, Coding Shots, Stop!, Caution!, Check This Out!, and CMS Rules boxes offer valuable, up-to-date tips and advice for working in today’s medical coding field.
- Coder’s Index makes it easy to instantly locate specific codes.
- Practice activities on the companion Evolve website reinforce key concepts from the text.
- Updated content presents the latest coding information so you can practice with the most current information available.
Unit 1: Reimbursement 1. Reimbursement, HIPAA, and Compliance Unit 2: ICD-10-CM 2. An Overview of ICD-10-CM 3. ICD-10-CM Outpatient Coding and Reporting Guidelines 4. Using ICD-10-CM 5. Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-10-CM Chapters 1-10) 6. Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-10-CM Chapters 11-14) 7. Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-10-CM Chapters 15-21) Unit 3: ICD-9-CM 8. An Overview of ICD-9-CM 9. ICD-9-CM Outpatient Coding and Reporting Guidelines 10. Using ICD-9-CM 11. Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-9-CM Chapters 1-8) 12. Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-9-CM Chapters 9-17) Unit 4: CPT and HCPCS 13. Introduction to CPT and Level II National Codes (HCPCS) 14. Modifiers 15. Evaluation and Management (E/M) Services 16. Anesthesia 17. Surgery Guidelines and General Surgery 18. Integumentary System 19. Musculoskeletal System 20. Respiratory System 21. Cardiovascular System 22. Hemic, Lymphatic, Mediastinum, and Diaphragm 23. Digestive System 24. Urinary and Male Genital Systems 25. Reproductive, Intersex Surgery, Female Genital System, and Maternity Care and Delivery 26. Endocrine and Nervous Systems 27. Eye, Ocular Adnexa, Auditory, and Operating Microscope 28. Radiology 29. Pathology/Laboratory 30. Medicine Unit 5: Inpatient Coding 31. Inpatient Coding Appendix A: Online Resources Appendix B: Exercise Answers Glossary Coder's Index
Carol J. Buck, MS, CPC, CCS-P, Former Program Director, Medical Secretarial Programs, Northwest Technical College, East Grand Forks, MN