Step-by-Step Medical Coding, 2014 Edition - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card),
Take your first step toward a successful career in medical coding with in-depth coverage from the most trusted name in coding education! Carol J. Buck’s Step-by-Step Medical Coding, 2014 Edition is a practical, easy-to-use resource that shows you exactly how to code using all current coding systems. Explanations of coding concepts are followed by practice exercises to reinforce your understanding. In addition to coverage of reimbursement, ICD-9-CM, CPT, HCPCS, and inpatient coding, this edition provides complete coverage of the ICD-10-CM diagnosis coding system in preparation for the upcoming ICD-10 transition. No other text on the market so thoroughly covers all coding sets in one source!
- Over 500 illustrations of medical procedures and conditions help you understand the services being coded.
- Real-life coding reports simulate the reports you will encounter as a coder and help you apply coding principles to actual cases.
- Complete coverage of ICD-10-CM prepares you for the upcoming transition to ICD-10.
- Dual coding addresses the transition to ICD-10 by providing coding answers in both ICD-9 and ICD-10.
- Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting boxes allow you to read the official wording for inpatient and outpatient coding alongside in-text explanations.
- From the Trenches, Coding Shots, Stop!, Caution!, Check This Out!, and CMS Rules boxes offer valuable, up-to-date tips and advice for working in today’s medical coding field.
- Exercises, Quick Checks, and Toolbox features reinforce coding rules and concepts, and emphasize key information.
- Four coding question variations develop your coding ability and critical thinking skills.
- Coder’s Index makes it easy to quickly locate specific codes.
- Updated content includes the latest coding information available, promoting accurate coding and success on the job.
- New appendix with sample Electronic Health Record (EHR) screenshots provides examples similar to the EHRs you will encounter in the workplace.
Unit 1: Reimbursement
1. Reimbursement, HIPAA, and Compliance
Unit 2: ICD-10-CM
2. An Overview of ICD-10-CM
3. ICD-10-CM Outpatient Coding and Reporting Guidelines
4. Using ICD-10-CM
5. Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-10-CM Chapters 1-10)
6. Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-10-CM Chapters 11-14)
7. Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-10-CM Chapters 15-21)
Unit 3: ICD-9-CM
8. An Overview of ICD-9-CM
9. ICD-9-CM Outpatient Coding and Reporting Guidelines
10. Using ICD-9-CM
11. Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-9-CM Chapters 1-8)
12. Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-9-CM Chapters 9-17)
Unit 4: CPT and HCPCS
13. Introduction to CPT and Level II National Codes (HCPCS)
15. Evaluation and Management (E/M) Services
17. Surgery Guidelines and General Surgery
18. Integumentary System
19. Musculoskeletal System
20. Respiratory System
21. Cardiovascular System
22. Hemic, Lymphatic, Mediastinum, and Diaphragm
23. Digestive System
24. Urinary and Male Genital Systems
25. Reproductive, Intersex Surgery, Female Genital System, Maternity Care and Delivery
26. Endocrine and Nervous Systems
27. Eye, Ocular Adnexa, Auditory, and Operating Microscope
Unit 5: Inpatient Coding
31. Inpatient Coding
Appendix A: Online Resources
Appendix B: Exercise Answers
Appendix C: EHR Screens
Carol J. Buck, MS, CPC, CCS-P, Former Program Director, Medical Secretarial Programs, Northwest Technical College, East Grand Forks, MN