The Dental Hygienist's Guide to Nutritional Care - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 4th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
The Dental Hygienist's Guide to Nutritional Care, 4th Edition, is specifically tailored to address relevant nutritional concerns for both practicing hygienists and dental hygiene students alike. Written by an author team with experience in both disciplines, this full-color text offers a balanced and comprehensive view of how nutrition affects dental health. In addition to basic nutritional advice relevant for dental hygienists, coverage also includes current nutritional concerns, such as high-protein diets, bottled water versus tap water, the latest Dietary Guidelines for Americans, and the new (ChooseMyPlate.gov graphic and food guidance system. A new chapter on biochemistry expands coverage of a topic that is addressed on the dental hygiene board exam. No other nutritional guide in dental hygiene offers so much!
- Multi-disciplinary author team, including registered dental hygienists and licensed dietitians, ensures that you learn the full scope of nutritional care for the dental hygienist.
- Boxes with information on Nutritional Directions and Dental Hygiene Considerations outline important facts from each chapter that can double as patient educational resources or be used to assess and evaluate a client’s needed dental care.
- Learning Objectives, Key Terms, and Test Your NQ, a true-false format pre-test at the beginning of each chapter, guide students through the text to reinforce knowledge.
- Case Applications for the Dental Hygienist near the end of each chapter asks students to think critically about real-life situations they may encounter in practice.
- Evolve Website includes ready-made instructor resources. Students will benefit from expanded information available as Weblinks, food guides from around the world, and printable forms such as an interactive Food Diary Form and the Dietary Analysis Form.
- NEW information on relevant cultural issues, such as: Pros and cons of popular high-protein diets Vitamin D deficiency in the United States Vitamin/mineral supplements Information on bottled water, energy drinks, and sports drinks
- UPDATED content addresses the newly released MyPyramid dietary guidelines!
- FULL-COLOR design better illustrates concepts, especially the effects vitamin deficiency can have on the oral cavity.
Part I: Orientation to Basic Nutrition 1. Overview of Healthy Eating Habits 2. NEW! Concepts in Biochemistry 3. The Alimentary Canal: Digestion and Absorption 4. Carbohydrate: The Efficient Fuel 5. Protein: The Cellular Foundation 6. Lipids: The Condensed Energy 7. Use of the Energy Nutrients: Metabolism and Balance 8. Vitamins Required for Calcified Structures 9. Minerals Essential for Calcified Structures 10. Nutrients Present in Calcified Structures 11. Vitamins Required for Oral Soft Tissues and Salivary Glands 12. Water and Minerals Required for Oral Soft Tissues and Salivary Glands
Part II: Considerations of Clinical Nutrition 13. Nutritional Requirements Affecting Oral Health in Women 14. Nutritional Requirements during Growth and Development and Eating Habits Affecting Oral Health 15. Nutritional Requirements for Older Adults and Eating Habits Affecting Oral Health 16. Other Considerations Affecting Nutrient Intake 17. Effects of Systemic Disease on Nutritional Status and Oral Health
Part III: Nutritional Aspects of Oral Health 18. Nutritional Aspects of Dental Caries: Causes, Prevention, and Treatment 19. Nutritional Aspects of Gingivitis and Periodontal Disease 20. Nutritional Aspects of Alterations in the Oral Cavity 21. Nutritional Assessment and Counseling for Dental Hygiene Patients
Glossary Answers to Nutritional Quotient Questions
Cynthia A. Stegeman, RDH, EdD, RDN, LD, CDE, Ohio Delegate to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
National Board Dental Hygiene Examination Test Construction Committee
Commission on Dental Competency Assessments Consultant
Professor and Chairperson, Dental Hygiene Program
University of Cincinnati, Blue Ash
Cincinnati, Ohio and Judi Ratliff Davis, MS, CNSD, RD, LD, Arlington, TX