Learn the most up-to-date information on materials used in the dental office and laboratory today. Emphasizing practical, clinical use, as well as the physical, chemical, and biological properties of materials, this leading reference helps you stay current in this very important area of dentistry. This new full-color edition also features an extensive collection of new clinical photographs to better illustrate the topics and concepts discussed in each chapter.
- Content outlines at the beginning of each chapter provide a quick reference for specific topics.
- The roles played by key organizations in ensuring the safety and efficacy of dental materials and devices are described - such as the American Dental Association, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the International Organization for Standardization, and the Fédération Dentaire Internationale.
- Up-to-date Selected Readings are presented at the end of each chapter to direct readers to supplemental literature on each topic.
- Numerous boxes and tables throughout summarize and illustrate key concepts and compare characteristics and properties of various dental materials.
- Distinguished contributors lend their credibility and experience to the text.
- Content has been completely updated to include information on the most current dental materials available.
- Glossaries at the beginning of each chapter define key terms used within the context of that chapter.
- Revised artwork gives this edition a fresh look, with high-quality illustrations and clinical photos to aid in the visualization of materials and procedures described.
- Reorganization and consolidation of chapters into four major book parts presents the material in a more efficient way: Part I describes the principles of materials science that control the performance of dental materials in dental laboratories, research laboratories, student dental clinics, public health clinics, and private practice clinics. Part II focuses on impression materials, gypsum products, dental waxes, casting investments and procedures, and finishing and polishing abrasives and procedures.
- Part III provides an updated scientific and applied description of the composition, manipulation principles, properties, and clinical performance of bonded restorations, restorative resins, dental cements, dental amalgams, and direct-filling golds.
- Part IV presents a basic and applied description of materials that are processed in a laboratory or dental clinic.
- Critical thinking questions appear in every chapter to stimulate thinking and classroom discussion.
- The overall design has been improved to provide a more visually appealing format.
Part I General Classes and Properties of Dental Materials
Chapter 1 Overview of Materials Used in Dentistry
Chapter 2 Atomic and Molecular Structure of Materials
Chapter 3 Physical Properties of Solids and Viscous Liquids
Chapter 4 Mechanical Properties of Materials
Chapter 5 Solidification and Microstructure of Cast Dental Alloys
Chapter 6 Equilibrium Phases in Cast Alloys
Chapter 7 Dental Polymers
Chapter 8 Biocompatibility of Materials Used in Dentistry
Part II Auxiliary Dental Materials
Chapter 9 Impression Materials
Chapter 10 Gypsum Products
Chapter 11 Dental Waxes
Chapter 12 Casting Investments and Procedures
Chapter 13 Finishing and Polishing Abrasives and Procedures
Part III Direct Restorative Materials
Chapter 14 Bonding
Chapter 15 Restorative Resins
Chapter 16 Dental Cements
Chapter 17 Dental Amalgams
Chapter 18 Direct-filling Gold
Part IV Indirect Restorative Materials
Chapter 19 Dental Casting and Soldering Alloys
Chapter 20 Wrought Metals
Chapter 21 Dental Ceramics
Chapter 22 Denture Base Resins
Chapter 23 Dental Implants