Gain a comprehensive understanding of the ethical and legal issues in dental practice and learn professional, practical ways to handle them with Ethics and Law in Dental Hygiene, 3rd Edition. Written by expert author, speaker, and educator Phyllis Beemsterboer, the new edition of this trusted reference uses real-world situations liberally to clarify key concepts and incorporates timely content on alternative workforce models, the Affordable Care Act, professionalism, and more. Additional case studies and "testlets" provide you with with opportunities for application and critical thinking and help prepare you for success on the NBDHE.
- Real-world relevance of concepts helps you apply knowledge to everyday situations.
- Contributors are renowned leaders in dental hygiene education.
- Learning Outcomes and Key Terms at the beginning of each chapter provide a detailed list of the concepts to master.
- A new chapter, “Social Responsibility and Justice,” covers timely issues such as access to care and disparities in oral health care.
- More case studies – 25 total – cover a wide range of situations.
- The latest information on HIPAA policies is discussed, and the newly revised ADA and ADHA codes of ethics are printed in their entirety.
Section I — Ethics
1. Ethics and Professionalism
2. Ethical Theory and Philosophy
3. Ethical Principles and Values
4. Social Responsibility
5. Codes of Ethics
Appendix 5-1: American Dental Hygienists’ Association Code of Ethics for Dental Hygienists
6. Ethical Decision Making in Dental Hygiene and Dentistry
Section II — Law
7. Society and the State Dental Practice Act
8. Dental Hygienist–Patient Relationship
9. Dental Hygienist–Dentist-Employer Relationship
10. Risk Management
Section III — Simulations and Applications
Case Studies, Activities, and Testlets
Appendix A: American Dental Association Principles of Ethics and Code of Professional Conduct
Bibliography and Suggested Readings