Physical Agents in Rehabilitation - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card),4th Edition
Presenting a variety of treatment choices supported by the latest clinical research, Physical Agents in Rehabilitation: From Research to Practice, 4th Edition is your guide to the safe, most effective use of physical agents in your rehabilitation practice. Coverage in this new edition includes the most up-to-date information on thermal agents, ultrasound, electrical currents, hydrotherapy, traction, compression, lasers, and electromagnetic radiation. Straightforward explanations make it easy to integrate physical agents into your patients’ overall rehabilitation plans.
- Comprehensive discussion of the basis for and research on all physical agents generally used by rehabilitation clinicians.
- Contraindication and precaution boxes for every physical agent highlight vital information for safely applying treatments.
- Application technique boxes in each chapter provide helpful tips and guidelines for effective treatment.
- Clinical case studies sharpen your decision-making skills and are presented in each chapter and on the Evolve website searchable by physical agent or by Preferred Practice Patterns from the APTA’s Guide to Physical Therapy Practice, 2nd Edition.
- Handy, quick-reference page on the inside back cover provides commonly-used abbreviations and acronyms, and commonly-used units of measure.
- Evolve companion website provides additional study tools to reinforce concepts from the text.
- Electronic versions of the application techniques, glossaries, and Electrical Stimulation, Ultrasound, and Laser Light Handbook offer customizable quick-reference study guides.
- A full chapter detailing the latest research and clinical application recommendations for laser light therapy.
- Electrical Stimulation, Ultrasound, and Laser Light Handbook now presented in full color and included in this book and on the companion Evolve website for quick, convenient access to application parameters for these modalities.
- The companion Evolve website now also includes printable application techniques so you can create your own “how-to manual for use in daily practice.
- Clinical pearls highlight and emphasize important content.
- Glossaries for every chapter introduce and explain new terms to make learning and understanding easier.
- Updated study questions provide an opportunity to test your knowledge of content from the book with boards-style questions.
- Engaging new learning resources on the Evolve website help you review glossary terms and practice figure labeling and table completion.
- Full-color design presents photos and illustrations in vivid detail.
1. Introduction to Physical Agents
Part 1: Pathology and Patient Problems
2. Inflammation and Tissue Repair
4. Tone Abnormalities
5. Motion Restrictions
Part 2: The Physical Agents
6. Thermal Agents: Cold and Heat
8. Electrical Currents
13. Ultraviolet Radiation
Electrical Stimulation, Ultrasound, and Laser Light Handbook
3: Electrical Stimulation
4: Laser Light
Michelle H. Cameron, MD, PT, OCS, Oregon Health and Science University, Department of Neurology; Portland VA Medical Center, Portland, OR