Equip yourself for today's psychiatric nursing practice with all of the essential nursing interventions and clinical content combined with current research and evidence-based practice. From the author of the bestselling Foundations of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, this text was specifically developed to effectively prepare students in today's shorter courses. The new edition features updated content along with new opening unit pages with vignettes, Selected Concept boxes and a new chapter on stress and stress-related disorders.
- Emphasizes evidence-based practice related to nursing interventions and the profound impact of research on the advancement of treatment options for individuals with psychiatric disorders.
- UNIQUE! Examining the Evidence boxes ask a realistic question and then explore the research on the topic to demonstrate how best evidence can be used in everyday practice.
- Highlights therapeutic communication as a core component of mental health nursing and the foundation for successful nurse-patient relationships.
- UNIQUE! Applying the Art communication tables walk through nurse-patient interactions to illustrate therapeutic and nontherapeutic communication and provide explanations of mental health nursing concepts.
- Numerous vignettes offer real-life glimpses into clinical practice by describing patients and their psychiatric disorders.
- Potential Nursing Diagnoses tables give possible nursing diagnoses for a particular disorder along with the associated signs symptoms.
- Nursing Interventions tables list interventions for a given disorder or clinical situation, along with rationales for each intervention.
- Pharmacological, Biological, and Integrative Therapies sections of the clinical chapters cover the range of available treatments for a given disorder, including both traditional and non-traditional treatments.
- Key Points to Remember, Critical Thinking questions, and Chapter Review questions help you understand, apply, and remember important information.
- A companion CD, included with the text and Student Resources on Evolve, reinforce concepts with a variety of engaging learning tools.
- NEW! Chapter on stress identifies symptoms and triggers of stressors.
- NEW! Selected Concept boxes include pertinent information at the beginning of every chapter.
- NEW! A QSEN focus is incorporated into clinical chapter objectives.
- NEW! Additional discussions of QSEN are incorporated in the Nursing Process and QSEN chapter.
- NEW! A Self Care for Nurses section is included in clinical chapters.
- NEW! Opening unit pages include photos and information about the most important contributions of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing pioneers.
- NEW! Cultural Considerations sections reinforce the principles of culturally competent care.
Unit I - Essential Theoretical Concepts for Practice
1. Practicing the Science and Art of Psychiatric Nursing
2. Mental Health and Mental Illness
3. Theories and Therapies
4. Biological Basis for Understanding Psychopharmacology
Unit II - Tools for Practice of the Art
5. Nursing Process: The Foundation for Safe and Effective Care
6. Communication Skills: Medium for All Nursing Practice
7. Therapeutic Relationships and the Clinical Interview
Unit III - Caring for Patients with Psychobiological Disorders
8. Anxiety and Anxiety Disorders
9. Somatoform and Dissociative Disorders
10. Personality Disorders
11. Eating Disorders
12. Mood Disorders: Depression
13. Mood Disorders: Mania
14. The Schizophrenias
15. Cognitive Disorders
16. Addictive Disorders
Unit IV - Communicating with and Planning Care for Patients Experiencing Psychiatric Emergencies
17. Crisis and Disaster
18. Child, Partner, and Elder Abuse
19. Sexual Assault
20. Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors
21. Anger and Aggression
22. Grief and Loss
Unit V - Communicating with and Planning Care for Patients with Discrete Needs
23. Children and Adolescents
25. Older Adults
Unit VI - Caring for Patients within the Context of the Mental Health Care System
26. Legal and Ethical Basis for Practice
27. Settings for Psychiatric Care
A. DSM-IV-TR Classification
B. NANDA-International-Approved Nursing Diagnoses
C. Answers to Chapter Review Questions