The Practice of Nursing Research - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card),7th Edition
Learn how to properly evaluate and use existing research data and how to conduct your own original research. This authoritative text gives provides a comprehensive foundation for appraisal, synthesis, and generation of research evidence for clinical nursing practice. This new edition also features enhanced coverage of the research methods most applicable to evidence-based practice (outcomes research, intervention research, and translational research), along with a significant increase in the coverage of qualitative research methodologies.
- Includes all the information needed to help both beginning nurses and beginning nurse-researchers understand and applying research findings to practice and conducting research.
- Includes frequent research examples from the best of the literature, strengthened with high-quality examples from the latest published studies, both qualitative and quantitative.
- Provides the most in-depth coverage of quantitative research methods of any nursing research text on the market.
- Comprehensive EVOLVE teaching/learning package includes an Instructor's Resource Manual, an enriched Test Bank, a PowerPoint Collection, syllabi, Data Set Activities (qualitative and quantitative), and more.
- Enhanced emphasis on research appraisal and synthesis for evidence-based practice equips students not just to generate research evidence but also to appraise and synthesize existing evidence for application to practice.
- Carefully edited for a more student-friendly readability and active-voice writing style reduces barriers to learning the typically challenging research content.
- In order to focus the text on the more “need to know content most important for the majority of students, more in-depth content on conceptual models for those planning to lead research studies has been moved from the book to the companion EVOLVE website.
- Fresh, new, full-color design provides a more “open look that facilitates learning with Key Terms highlighted in color and color tabs for the Index and Glossary.
- Research examples have been updated throughout to reflect the most current research from the published literature, including excellent examples of qualitative studies.
- The coverage of qualitative research has been carefully revised to highlight examples of high-quality qualitative research and to present both qualitative and quantitative approaches as equally valuable.
- EVOLVE website provides examples of both qualitative and quantitative research proposals.
- Now focuses on the “how to’s of seeking research funding and provides a practical tool to help new researchers move from research proposal to funded research project.
- UNIQUE! Authoritative coverage provides students the opportunity to learn first-hand from the leaders in the field.
- UNIQUE! Separate chapter on the cost-driven field of outcomes research helps nurses to demonstrate that what they do results in positive healthcare outcomes.
- UNIQUE! Provides a separate chapter on the emerging field of intervention research, which establishes "causal explanations" for nursing interventions in response to the growing difficulty of performing true experimental research on human participants.
Unit One: Introduction to Nursing Research
1. Discovering the World of Nursing Research
2. NEW! The Evolution of Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing
3. Introduction to Quantitative Research
4. Introduction to Qualitative Research
Unit Two: The Research Process
5. Research Problem and Purpose
6. Review of Relevant Literature
8. Objectives, Questions, and Hypotheses
9. Ethics in Research
10. Understanding Quantitative Research Design
11. Selecting a Research Design
12. Outcomes Research
13. Intervention Research
15. The Concepts of Measurement
16. Measurement Methods Used in Developing Evidence for Practice
17. Collecting and Managing Data
18. Introduction to Statistical Analysis
19. Using Statistics to Describe Variables
20. Using Statistics to Examine Relationships
21. Using Statistics to Predict
22. Using Statistics to Examine Causality
23. Qualitative Research Methodology
24. Interpreting Research Outcomes
25. Communicating Research Findings
Unit Three: Putting It All Together for Evidence-Based Health Care
26. Critical Appraisal of Nursing Studies
27. Strategies for Promoting Evidence-Based Nursing Practice
Unit Four: Proposing and Seeking Funding for Research
28. Proposal Writing for Research Approval
29. NEW FOCUS! Seeking Funding for Research
A. NEW VERSION! Percentage Points of Student’s Distribution
B. Percentage Points of the F Distribution
C. Critical Values of the ÷2 Distribution
D. Statistical Power Tables (Ä = Effect Size)
Jennifer R. Gray, PhD, RN, FAAN, George W. and Hazel M. Jay Professor, College of Nursing; Associate Dean and Chair, Department of MSN Administration, Education, and PhD Programs, The University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas, Susan K. Grove, PhD, RN, ANP-BC, GNP-BC, Professor, College of Nursing, The University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas; Adult Nurse Practitioner, Family Practice, Grand Prairie, Texas and Nancy Burns, PhD, RN, FCN, FAAN, Professor Emeritus, College of Nursing, The University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas; Faith Community Nurse, St. Matthew Cumberland Presbyterian Church, Burleson, Texas