Familiarize yourself with the acute care environment with this essential guide to physical therapy practice in an acute care setting. Acute Care Handbook for Physical Therapists, 4th Edition helps you understand and interpret hospital protocol, safety, medical-surgical ‘lingo’, and the many aspects of patient are from the emergency department to the intensive care unit to the general ward. This restructured new edition streamlines the text into four parts— Introduction, Systems, Diagnoses, and Interventions to make the book even easier to use as a quick reference. Intervention algorithms, updated illustrations, and language consistent with the ICF model all help you digest new information and become familiar with new terminology. This comprehensive resource is just what you need to better manage the specific needs of your patients in the complex acute care environment.
- Review of body system basics and disease processes in each chapter provides concise information to help you better manage patients in a hospital setting.
- Familiarizes you with the acute care environment by explaining medical terminology, hospital protocol, and surgical workups
- Includes updated information on medications, laboratory and diagnostic tests, and surgical and invasive procedures pertinent to physical therapy practice
- Clinical tips throughout the text show you how to maximize safety, quality, and efficiency of care.
- Over 350 illustrations, tables, and boxed text highlight essential concepts and procedures for quick reference.
- Uses terminology consistent with the Guide to Physical Therapist Practice, Second Edition
- Focuses on evidence-based practice to help you determine the best interventions including recent literature regarding rehabilitation in the critical care setting.
- NEW! Pertinent practice patterns from the Guide to Physical Therapist Practice, Second Edition are included in each chapter.
- NEW! Additional illustrations to improve comprehension of the material
- NEW! More pharmacologic implications for physical therapists, specifically concerning side effects and use of combination drugs.
- NEW! Additional decision-making algorithms facilitate critical thinking in the clinical setting.
- NEW! Updated surgical and invasive procedures include minimally invasive orthopedic surgery, bariatric procedures, and complete insight into circulatory assist devices.
- NEW! Expanded neurological chapter including vestibular dysfunction tests and measures, a discussion of dementia, and the latest in stroke evaluation and management.
- NEW! Revised appendices discuss the latest concepts in documentation standards, palliative care, and patient safety.
- NEW! Slimmer, larger format allows the book to lie open for easier reading.
- NEW! Improved design highlighting clinical tips and other key features lets you locate important information quickly in a busy clinical setting.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Ch01: Cardiac System
Ch02: Respiratory System
Ch03: Musculoskeletal System
Ch03-A: Management and Physical Therapy Interventions for Fractures
Ch04: Nervous System
Ch06: Vascular System and Hematology
Ch07: Burns and Wounds
Ch08: Gastrointestinal System
Ch09: Genitourinary System
Ch10: Infectious Diseases
Ch10-A: Disorders of Altered Immunity
Ch11: Endocrine System
Ch12: Organ Transplantation
Appendix I-A: The Medical Record
Appendix I-B: Acute Care Setting
Appendix II: Fluid and Electrolyte Imbalances
Appendix III-A: Medical-Surgical Equipment in the Acute Care Setting
Appendix III-B: Mechanical Ventilation
Appendix III-C: Circulatory Assist Devices
Appendix IV: Pharmacologic Agents
Appendix V: Anesthesia: Perioperative and Postoperative Considerations
Appendix VI: Pain Management
Appendix VII: Amputation
Appendix VIII: Postural Drainage
Appendix IX: Functional Tests
Appendix X: Physical Therapy Considerations for Patients who Complain of Chest Pain