Essentials of Dental Assisting - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 5th Edition
Fully updated to include the latest procedures and trends, this practical resource focuses on the core clinical skills and knowledge you need to become a practicing dental assistant. The concise, full-color text has been specifically designed and written to help you easily grasp important DA information. And step-by-step procedures, application exercises, and a wealth of pedagogical aids ensure that you master all the necessary skills.
- Procedures at the back of every chapter and competency checklists at the end of the book for easy access.
- The Dental Assisting Video Procedures CD-ROM, at no additional cost, brings key office procedures to life.
- Learning objectives for meeting theoretical and procedural objectives.
- Student learning aids, like highlighted key terms, chapter goals, and Apply Your Knowledge questions at the end of each chapter.
- Ethical Implications boxes located at the end of each chapter summarize the ethical and legal issues presented in each chapter to familiarize students with certain legal and ethical situations in order to protect themselves, their patients, and the practice for which they work.
- A CD-ROM tutorial, included in the text, workbook, and instructor's resource manual, walks users through installation and how to use the The Dental Assisting Video Procedures CD-ROM.
- Photos, procedures, and the interior design are available in full color for the first time to bring concepts to life.
PART 1: The Profession
1. Orientation to Dental Assisting
2. Professional and Legal Aspects of Dental Assisting
PART 2: The Sciences
3. Anatomy and Physiology
4. Dental Anatomy
PART 3: Infection Control and Hazardous Materials
5. Disease Transmission
6. Infection Control and Management of Hazardous Materials
7. Surface Disinfection and Treatment Room Preparation
8. Instrument Processing
PART 4: Dental Treatment
9. Clinical Dentistry
10. Moisture Control
PART 5: Patient Care
11. The Dental Patient
12. Dental Examination
13. Medical Emergencies
14. Pain and Anxiety Control
PART 6: Dental Radiography
15. Radiation Safety and Production of X-Rays
16. Intraoral Radiographic Techniques and Film Processing
PART 7: Preventive Dentistry
17. Preventive Care
18. Coronal Polishing and Sealants
PART 8: Restorative Dentistry
19. Instruments, Handpieces, and Burs
20. Restorative Materials
21. Restorative Procedures
22. Impression Materials and Laboratory Procedures
PART 9: Specialized Dentistry
26. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
27. Pediatric Dentistry
PART 10: Preparation for Employment
29. The Job Search
APPENDIX A: Examination preparation and practice exam
Debbie S. Robinson, CDA, MS, Research Assistant Professor and Research Study Coordinator, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC and Doni L. Bird, CDA, RDA, RDH, MA, Faculty, Allied Dental Education Program, Santa Rosa Junior College, Santa Rosa, CA