Medical-Surgical Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card),2nd Edition
The clear, concise, and cutting-edge medical-surgical nursing content in Medical-Surgical Nursing: Concepts & Practice, 2nd Edition provides the solid foundation you need to pass the NCLEX Examination and succeed as a new nurse. It builds on the fundamentals of nursing and covers roles, settings, health care trends, all body systems and their disorders, emergency and disaster management, and mental health nursing. Written by noted authors Susan deWit and Candice Kumagai, Medical-Surgical Nursing reflects current national LPN/LVN standards with its emphasis on safety as well as complementary and alternative therapies.
- UNIQUE! ESL (English as a Second Language) considerations are throughout the textbook and Student Learning Guide, improving readability and enhancing comprehension for ESL and students with limited proficiency in English.
- Each body system chapter begins with an Overview of Anatomy and Physiology and continues with a discussion of diagnostic tests, and problems common to disorders in that system with usual nursing interventions.
- Five-Step Nursing Process provides consistent framework for disorders chapters.
- Focused Assessment boxes for each body system include information on history taking and psychosocial assessment, physical assessment, and guidance on how to collect data/information for specific disorders.
- NCLEX-PN® examination-style review questions at the end of each chapter include alternate-format questions and help familiarize you with the exam.
- Unit on Mental Health Nursing includes information on disorders of anxiety and mood, cognitive disorders, thought and personality disorders, and substance abuse.
- UNIQUE! Assignment Considerations address situations in which the RN delegates tasks to the LPN/LVN or when the LPN/LVN assigns tasks to nurse assistants, patient care techs, and other unlicensed assistive personnel per the individual state nurse practice act.
- UNIQUE! Evidence-based practice is emphasized throughout with a special EB icon to highlight research relevant to nursing practice and patient teaching.
- Legal and Ethical Considerations boxes focus on specific disorder-related issues.
- Safety Alert boxes highlight specific dangers to patients related to clinical care.
- Disaster management content offers the latest guidelines on disaster preparation, assessment, decontamination, and treatment of injuries associated with both natural and bioterrorist disasters.
- Clinical Cues provide guidance and advice related to the application of nursing care.
- Think Critically About... boxes encourage you to synthesize information and apply concepts beyond the scope of the chapter.
- UNIQUE! Concept Maps in the disorders chapters help you visualize difficult material and illustrate how a disorder's multiple symptoms, treatments, and side effects relate to each other.
- UNIQUE! Health Promotion Points boxes address wellness and disease prevention, including diet, infection control, and more.
- UNIQUE! Communication Cues help you learn to apply in therapeutic communication skills in realistic patient care situations.
- Cultural Cues related to biocultural variations, as well as health promotion for specific ethnic groups, are included throughout.
- Nutritional Therapies boxes related to nursing care for specific disorders address the need for holistic care, as well as the increased emphasis on nutrition on the NCLEX®-PN exam.
- Patient Teaching boxes provide step-by-step instructions and guidelines for post-hospital care.
- Elder Care Points address the unique medical-surgical care issues affecting older adults.
- Home Care Considerations boxes focus on post-discharge adaptations of medical-surgical nursing care to the home environment.
- UNIQUE! Complementary and Alternative Therapies boxes offer information on how nontraditional treatments for medical-surgical conditions may be used to complement traditional treatment.
- A companion CD packaged with the text includes a variety of review exercises and tutorials, plus a glossary, a coloring book, Spanish health care phrases, and much more.
- UNIQUE! Best Practices are highlighted to show the latest evidence-based research related to interventions.
- Online resources listed at the end of each chapter promote comprehensive patient care based on current national standards and evidence-based practices.
- UNIQUE! Icons in page margins point to related animations, video clips, additional content, and related resources on the Evolve site.
Unit One: Medical-Surgical Nursing Settings, Roles, and Issues
1. Caring for Medical-Surgical Patients
2. Critical Thinking and Nursing Process
Unit Two: Medical-Surgical Patient Care Problems
3. Fluid, Electrolytes, Acid-Base Balance, and Intravenous Therapy
4. Care of Preoperative and Intraoperative Surgical Patients
5. Care of Postoperative Surgical Patients
6. Infection Prevention and Control
7. Care of Patients with Pain
8. Care of Patients with Cancer
9. Chronic Illness and Rehabilitation
Unit Three: Immune System
10. The Immune and Lymphatic Systems
11. Care of Patients with Immune and Lymphatic Disorders
Unit Four: Respiratory System
12. The Respiratory System
13. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Upper Respiratory System
14. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Lower Respiratory System
Unit Five: Hematological System
15. The Hematological System
16. Care of Patients with Hematological Disorders
Unit Six: Cardiovascular System
17. The Cardiovascular System
18. Care of Patients with Peripheral Vascular Disease and Hypertension
19. Care of Patients with Cardiac Disorders
20. Care of Patients with Coronary Artery Disease and Cardiac Surgery
Unit Seven: Neurological System
21. The Neurologic System
22. Care of Patients with Head and Spinal Cord Injuries
23. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Brain
24. Care of Patients with Degenerative Neurologic Disorders
Unit Eight: Sensory System
25. The Sensory System: Eye and Ear
26. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Eyes and Ears
Unit Nine: Gastrointestinal System
27. The Gastrointestinal System
28. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Upper Gastrointestinal System
29. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Lower Gastrointestinal System
30. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Liver, Gallbladder, and Pancreas
Unit Ten: Musculoskeletal System
31. The Musculoskeletal System
32. Care of Patients with Muculoskeletal and Connective Tissue Disorders
Unit Eleven: Urinary System
33. The Urinary System
34. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Urinary System
Unit Twelve: Endocrine System
35. The Endocrine System
36. Care of Patients with Pituitary, Thyroid, Parathyroid, and Adrenal Disorders
37. Care of Patients with Diabetes and Hypoglycemia
Unit Thirteen: Reproductive System
38. Care of Women with Reproductive Disorders
39. Care of Men with Reproductive Disorders
40. Care of Patients with Sexually Transmitted Infections
Unit Fourteen: Integumentary System
41. The Integumentary System
42. Care of Patients with Integumentary Disorders and Burns
Unit Fifteen: Emergency and Disaster Management
43. Care of Patients in Disasters or Bioterrorism Attack
44. Care of Patients with Trauma or Shock
Unit Sixteen: Mental Health Nursing of the Adult
45. Care of Patients with Anxiety, Mood, and Eating Disorders
46. Care of Patients with Substance Abuse Disorders
47. Care of Patients with Cognitive Disorders
48. Care of Patients with Thought and Personality Disorders
Susan C. deWit, MSN, RN, CNS, PHN, Formerly, Instructor of Nursing, El Centro College, Dallas, TX; and Allan Hancock College, Santa Maria, CA and Candice K. Kumagai, MSN, RN, Formerly, Instructor in Clinical Nursing, School of Nursing, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas