Handbook of Anesthesia - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 5th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
A practical reference for the clinical setting, Handbook of Anesthesia, 5th Edition puts key information at your fingertips. It’s an ideal companion to Nurse Anesthesia, providing easy-access coverage of the subjects you look up most frequently, such as common diseases, common procedures, drugs, and protocols. It also includes the most current information related to perioperative management and anesthetic care considerations for a wide variety of surgical procedures. Written by leading CRNA experts John Nagelhout and Karen Plaus, this compact handbook provides the up-to-date clinical and drug information you’ll use in daily practice
"This book is packed with information, is easy to read and easy to navigate. The clinical information is authentic, and reads like the work of authors with clinical experience and wisdom" Reviewed by: British Journal of Anaesthesia Date: Nov 2014
- Convenient, quick-reference format is organized into three parts: common diseases, common procedures, and drugs.
- Disease monographs include definition, incidence and prevalence, pathophysiology, laboratory results, clinical manifestations, treatment, anesthetic considerations, and prognosis.
- Monographs of surgical procedures include a brief description, preoperative assessments (including health history, physical assessment, and patient preparation), anesthetic technique, perioperative management, and postoperative implications.
- Drug monographs include generic names, trade names, indications, anesthetic considerations, pharmacokinetics, dosages, and adverse effects.
- Expert CRNA authors provide the current clinical information you’ll use in daily practice.
- UPDATED disease information includes the latest treatment and anesthetic considerations.
- NEW drug information includes interactions and effects of key new drugs with common anesthetic agents.
- NEW surgical procedures include up-to-date information on new minimally invasive and laparoscopic procedures.
- NEW appendices include drug, laboratory, and pediatric tables for easy reference.
PART 1: COMMON DISEASES
Section 1: Cardiovascular System
Coronary Artery Disease
Peripheral Vascular Disease
Valvular Heart Disease
Section 2: Central Nervous System
Spinal Cord InjurySection 3: Endocrine System
PheochromocytomaSection 4: Gastrointestinal System
Carcinoid Tumors and Carcinoid Syndrome
Hiatal Hernia/Gastric Reflux
Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Splenic DisordersSection 5: Hematologic System
Disseminating Intravascular Coagulation
Heparin Induced Thromocytopenia
Sickle Cell Disease
Von Willebrand DiseaseSection 6: Hepatic System
HepatitisSection 7: Musculoskeletal System
Lambert-Eaton Myasthenic Syndrome
Rheumatoid ArthritisSection 8: Renal System
Acute Renal Failure
Chronic Renal Failure
UrolithiasisSection 9: Respiratory System
Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
Pneumothorax and Hemothorax
Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
Restrictive Pulmonary Diseases
TuberculosisSection 10: Other Conditions
Allergic Reactions and Hypersensitivity
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
Part 2: Common Procedures
Section 1: Cardiovascular System
Section 2: Gastrointestinal System
Section 3: Genitourinary System
Section 4: Head and Neck
Section 5: Intrathoracic and Extrathoracic
Section 6: Neurologic System
Section 7: Neuroskeletal System
Section 8: Obstetrics and Gynecology
Section 9: Orthopedics and Podiatry
Section 10: Other Procedures
Section 11: Pediatrics
Section 12: Neonatal Anesthetic Considerations
Section 13: Anesthesia for Therapeutic and Diagnostic Procedures
Section 14: Vascular Surgery
Section 15: Complications
Part 3: Drugs
Preoperative Laboratory Tests
Pulmonary Function Test Values
John J. Nagelhout, CRNA, PhD, FAAN, Director, School of Anesthesia, Kaiser Permanente, California State University-Fullerton, Southern California Permanente Medical Group, Pasadena, CA and Karen Plaus, PhD, CRNA, FAAN, Chief Executive Officer, National Board of Certification and Recertification for Nurse Anesthetists, Chicago, IL