Neonatal and Pediatric Respiratory Care - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 4th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
A comprehensive text on respiratory care for neonates, infants, and children, Neonatal and Pediatric Respiratory Care, 4th Edition provides a solid foundation in the assessment and treatment of respiratory care disorders. Clear, full-color coverage emphasizes clinical application of the principles of neonatal/pediatric respiratory care. New to this edition is coverage of the latest advances in clinical practice, a chapter devoted to quality and safety, and summary boxes discussing real-world clinical scenarios. From author Brian Walsh, an experienced educator and respiratory therapist, this text is an excellent study tool for the NBRC’s Neonatal/Pediatric Specialty exam!
- A comprehensive approach covers all of the major topics of respiratory care for neonates, infants and children, including both theory and application
- Exam preparation is enhanced by the inclusion of the content in the exam matrix for the NBRC’s neonatal/pediatric specialty exam.
- A streamlined, logical organization makes it easy to build a solid foundation of knowledge.
- Unique Pediatric Thoracic Trauma chapter focuses on common forms of thoracic trauma, a condition that accounts for 5-10% of admissions to pediatric trauma centers.
- Learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter highlight what you should learn by breaking down key content into measurable behaviors, criteria, and conditions.
- Assessment questions in each chapter are written in the NBRC multiple-choice style as found on the neonatal and pediatric specialty exam, with answers, page references, and rationales available on a companion Evolve website.
- Case studies help you master the more difficult areas of care for neonatal and pediatric disorders.
- New learning features and a fresh look make this text easier to study and use.
- A companion Evolve website includes links to related sites for further research and study.
SECTION 1: FETAL DEVELOPMENT, ASSESSMENT, AND DELIVERY
1. Fetal Lung Development
2. Fetal Gas Exchange and Circulation
3. Antenatal Assessment and High Risk Delivery
SECTION 2: ASSESSMENT AND MONITORING OF THE NEONATAL AND PEDIATRIC PATIENT
4. Exam and Assessment of the Neonatal and Pediatric Patient
5. Pulmonary Function Testing and Bedside Pulmonary Mechanics
6. Radiographic Assessment
8. Invasive Blood Gas Analysis and Monitoring
9. Non-Invasive Monitoring in Neonatal and Pediatric Care
SECTION 3: THERAPEUTIC PROCEDURES FOR TREATMENT OF NEONATAL AND PEDIATRIC DISORDERS
10. Oxygen Administration
11. Aerosols and Administration of Medication
12. Airway Clearance Techniques and Lung Volume Expansion
13. Airway Management
14. Surfactant Replacement
15. Non-Invasive Mechanical Ventilation and Continuous Positive Pressure of the Neonate
16. Non-Invasive Mechanical Ventilation of the Child
17. Mechanical Ventilation of the Neonatal and Pediatric Patient
18. Administration of Gas Mixtures
19. Extracorporeal Life Support
21. Thoracic Organ Transplantation
22. Neonatal Complications and Pulmonary Disorders
SECTION 4: NEONATAL AND PEDIATRIC DISORDERS: PRESENTATION, DIAGNOSIS, AND TREATMENT
23. Congenital and Surgical Disorders that Affect Respiratory Care
24. Congenital Cardiac Defects
25. Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and Sleep Disorders
26. Pediatric Airway Disorders and Pulmonary Infections
28. Cystic Fibrosis
29. Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
30. Shock, Sepsis, and Anaphylaxis
31. Pediatric Trauma
32. Disorders of the Pleura
33. Neurological and Neuromuscular Disorders
SECTION 5: NEONATAL AND PEDIATRIC TRANSIENT AND AMBULATORY CARE
34. Transport of Infants and Children
35. Home Care
36. Quality and Safety NEW!
Brian K. Walsh, PhD, RRT-NPS, RRT-ACCS, RPFT, FAARC, Director, Respiratory Therapy Program, Professor of Health Sciences, Liberty University