Mosby's Pharmacy Technician - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 4th Edition
Thoroughly revised and updated, Mosby's Pharmacy Technician: Principles and Practice, 3rd Edition equips your students with a fundamental understanding of the skills and concepts essential to a successful career as a pharmacy technician. Clear writing, expert insight, and engaging study tools make complex pharmaceutical content more approachable, and innovative educator support helps you save time and create a more engaging learning experience.
- Complete coverage of community and institutional pharmacy practice settings helps you understand your valuable role as a pharmacy technician.
- A&P content helps you understand how drugs work in the human body.
- Comprehensive drug tables provide fast, easy access to essential pharmaceutical facts.
- Tech Notes and Tech Alerts highlight steps you can take to enhance efficiency and avoid common errors on the job.
- Pharmacist's Perspective boxes provide practical insight on common scenarios you'll encounter in practice.
- Technician's Corner boxes challenge you to apply your critical thinking skills to chapter content.
- Abbreviated drug monographs familiarize you with essential pharmaceutical data for common drugs:
- Generic/trade names
- Route of administration
- Common dosage
- Side effects
- Auxiliary label
- Medication Safety and Error Prevention chapter helps you confidently address growing concerns related to patient safety and prevent medication-related errors.
- Revised Math Calculations chapter incorporates helpful information to clarify complex pharmaceutical calculations.
- Updated content prepares you for the Pharmacy Technician Certification (PTC) exam and highlights current concerns you'll encounter in the workforce:
- HIPAA regulations
- The Medicare Modernization Act
- Legal parameters for the sale of pseudoephedrine products
- The issuance of multiple Schedule II prescriptions
- Pending legislation requirements for Medicaid prescriptions
- The United States Pharmacopeia (USP)
- New full-color photographs familiarize you with current practice settings.
- Learning games and certification review quizzes on the companion Evolve website reinforce your understanding and challenge you to apply what you've learned.
Unit One: Pharmacy Practice 1. History of Medicine and Pharmacy 2. Pharmacy Law, Ethics, and Regulatory Agencies 3. Competencies, Associations, and Settings for Technicians 4. Communication and Role of the Technician with the Customer/Patient NEW! 5. Dosage Forms and Routes of Administration 6. Conversions and Calculations 7. Drug Information References 8. Community Pharmacy Practice 9. Institutional Pharmacy Practice 10. Additional Pharmacy Practice Settings 11. Bulk Repackaging and Non-Sterile Compounding 12. Aseptic Technique and Sterile Compounding 13. Pharmacy Stock and Billing 14. Medication Safety and Error Prevention NEW!
Unit Two: Pharmacology and Medications 15. Therapeutic Agents for the Nervous System 16. Therapeutic Agents for the Endocrine System 17. Therapeutic Agents for the Muscular/Skeletal System 18. Therapeutic Agents for the Cardiovascular System 19. Therapeutic Agents for the Respiratory System 20. Therapeutic Agents for the Gastrointestinal System 21. Therapeutic Agents for the Renal System 22. Therapeutic Agents for the Reproductive System 23. Therapeutic Agents for the Immune System 24. Therapeutic Agents for Eyes, Ears, Nose and Throat 25. Therapeutic Agents for the Dermatologic System 26. Therapeutic Agents for the Hematologic System 27. Over-the-Counter (OTC) Medications 28. Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)
Appendices A) Review for the PTCB Examination B) Top 200 Prescription Drugs C) Top 30 Herbal Remedies D) Glossary E) Index