Kinn's The Medical Assistant - Elsevier eBook on Intel Education Study,11th Edition
The most comprehensive medical assisting resource available, Kinn's The Medical Assistant, 11th Edition provides unparalleled coverage of the practical, real-world administrative and clinical skills essential to your success in health care. Kinn's 11th Edition combines current, reliable content with innovative support tools to deliver an engaging learning experience and help you confidently prepare for today's competitive job market.
- Study more effectively with detailed Learning Objectives, Vocabulary terms and definitions, and Connections icons that link important concepts in the text to corresponding exercises and activities throughout the companion Evolve Resources website and Study Guide & Procedure Checklist Manual.
- Apply what you learn to realistic administrative and clinical situations through an Applied Learning Approach that integrates case studies at the beginning and end of each chapter.
- Master key skills and clinical procedures through step-by-step instructions and full-color illustrations that clarify techniques.
- Confidently meet national medical assisting standards with clearly identified objectives and competencies incorporated throughout the text.
- Sharpen your analytical skills and test your understanding of key concepts with critical thinking exercises.
- Understand the importance of patient privacy with the information highlighted in helpful HIPAA boxes.
- Demonstrate your proficiency to potential employers with an interactive portfolio builder on the companion Evolve Resources website.
- Familiarize yourself with the latest administrative office trends and issues including the Electronic Health Record.
- Confidently prepare for certification exams with online practice exams and an online appendix that mirrors the exam outlines and provides fast, efficient access to related content.
- Enhance your value to employers with an essential understanding of emerging disciplines and growing specialty areas.
- Find information quickly and easily with newly reorganized chapter content and charting examples.
- Reinforce your understanding through medical terminology audio pronunciations, Archie animations, Medisoft practice management software exercises, chapter quizzes, review activities, and more on a completely revised companion Evolve Resources website.
1. Becoming a Successful Student
2. The Healthcare Industry
Unit One: Introduction to Medical Assisting
3. The Medical Assisting Profession
4. Professional Behavior in the Workplace
5. Interpersonal Skills and Human Behavior
6. Medicine and Ethics
7. Medicine and Law
Unit Two: Administrative Medical Assisting
8. Computer Concepts
9. Telephone Techniques
10. Scheduling Appointments
11. Patient Reception and Processing
12. Office Environment and Daily Operations
13. Written Communications and Mail Processing
Unit Three: Health Information in the Medical Office
14. The Paper Medical Record (formerly Medical Records Management)
15. The Electronic Medical Record
16. Health Information Management
17. Privacy in the Physician's Office
Unit Four: Billing and Coding Procedures
18. Basics of Diagnostic Coding
19. Basics of Procedural Coding
20. Basics of Health Insurance
21. The Health Insurance Claim Form
22. Professional Fees, Billing, and Collecting
Unit Five: Financial and Practice Management
23. Banking Services and Procedures
24. Management of Practice Finances
25. Medical Practice Management and Human Resources
26. Medical Practice Marketing and Customer Service
Unit Six: Fundamentals of Clinical Medical Assisting
27. Infection Control
28. Patient Assessment
29. Patient Education
30. Nutrition and Health Promotion
31. Vital Signs
32. Assisting with the Primary Physical Examination
Unit Seven: Assisting with Medications
33. Principles of Pharmacology
34. Pharmacology Math
35. Administering Medications
Unit Eight: Assisting with Medical Specialties
36. Emergency Preparedness and Assisting With Medical Emergencies
37. Assisting in Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology
38. Assisting in Dermatology
39. Assisting in Gastroenterology
40. Assisting in Urology and Male Reproduction
41. Assisting in Obstetrics and Gynecology
42. Assisting in Pediatrics
43. Assisting in Orthopedic Medicine
44. Assisting in Neurology and Mental Health
45. Assisting in Endocrinology
46. Assisting in Pulmonary Medicine
47. Assisting in Cardiology
48. Assisting in Geriatrics
Unit Nine: Diagnostic Procedures
49. Principles of Electrocardiography
50. Assisting with Diagnostic Imaging
51. Assisting in the Clinical Laboratory
52. Assisting in the Analysis of Urine
53. Assisting in Phlebotomy
54. Assisting in the Analysis of Blood
55. Assisting in Microbiology and Immunology
Unit Ten: Assisting with Surgeries
56. Surgical Supplies and Instruments
57. Surgical Asepsis and Assisting with Surgical Procedures
Unit Eleven: Career Development
58. Career Development and Life Skills
Deborah B. Proctor, EdD, RN, CMA, Professor and Director, Medical Assisting Program, Butler County Community College, Butler, PA and Alexandra Patricia Adams, BBA, RMA, CMA (AAMA), MA, Adjunct Instructor, Everest College, Arlington Midcities Campus, Arlington, TX; Professional Writer, Grand Prairie, TX; Formerly, Director of Admissions, Parker College of Chiropractic, Dallas, TX; Formerly, Program Director, Medical Assisting/HIM Programs, Ultrasound Diagnostic School, Irving, TX