Success in Practical/Vocational Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card),7th Edition
Part of the LPN Threads series, Success in Practical/Vocational Nursing: From Student to Leader, 7th Edition helps you develop the practical knowledge and problem-solving skills you need for a successful career as an LPN/LVN. This edition features up-to-date content that is logically organized with concepts that build on each other as you progress through the material.
- UNIQUE! 1-2-3 approach in a clear, simple, engaging writing style instructs you in what you need to do and how to do it.
- UNIQUE! Learning Exercises challenge you to imagine, visualize, and think outside the box.
- UNIQUE! Leadership Activities provide exercises to practice and develop leadership skills and Leadership Hints provide helpful pointers to follow and remember when in various leadership situations.
- UNIQUE! Management Tools and Management Hints provide practical instructions, resources, and tips to use when in a management situation.
- UNIQUE! Offers time-management tips to help prioritize.
- Integrates wellness and personal care throughout the text, including information and coping skills for stress management and burnout, nutrition and exercise, the impaired nurse, and co-dependency.
- Includes separate chapters on “Ethics Apply to Nursing and “Nursing and the Law that address pertinent legal and ethical issues that directly and indirectly affect LPN/LVNs.
- Features information on Medicare and the many changes that affect health care, including health care settings, medication coverage, and the costs of managed care.
- Includes a separate chapter on learning strategies for the adult student and updated approaches for traditional and returning students.
- A separate chapter on critical thinking and many critical thinking exercises promotes the development of critical thinking and problem solving skills in both academic and personal situations.
- Includes updated State Boards of Nursing and Internet Resources Appendixes with the most up-to-date addresses for nursing boards and website addresses for nursing, medical, and health-related information as an all-in-one ready resource for you as you prepare to enter the work world.
- UNIQUE! Keep In Mind boxes located in each chapter introduce readers to the underlying theme in the chapter.
- UNIQUE! Evolve Student Resources includes 230 NCLEX Exam-Style Interactive Questions per chapter, with correct response and rationales for both correct and incorrect responses, to encourage self-study and review.
- UNIQUE! The “Learning During School, for the NCLEX-PN, and Beyond chapter includes new content on the role of simulation in nursing education and etiquette for electronic device use, such as cell phones and iPods.
- UNIQUE! The “Personal Health Promotion chapter helps you provide a positive role model for patients with new content on MyPyramid, the benefits of exercise, personal steps to help prevent hospital-acquired infections, burnout versus stress, and tips for personal safety.
- UNIQUE! Culture content has been expanded content addressing the growing needs of patient care for special populations and to help students develop cultural sensitivity.
- Includes the latest protocols from NAPNES regarding standards of practice and educational competencies that LPN/LVN nursing students need to know.
UNIT ONE: PASSING THE NCLEX-PN®
Chapter1 The Adult Learner and the Practical/Vocational Nursing Program
Chapter 2 Developing a Successful Learning Style
Chapter 3 Time Management: Using a Limited Resource Wisely
Chapter 4 Methods and Skills Used in Learning
Chapter 5 Learning During School, for the NCLEX-PN®, and Beyond
Chapter 6 Critical Thinking and Patient Care
UNIT TWO: BUILDING BLOCKS FOR YOUR CAREER
Chapter 7 How Practical/Vocational Nursing Evolved
Chapter 8 Nursing Process: Your Role
Chapter 9 Straightforward Communication
Chapter10 Personal Health Promotion
UNIT THREE: PATIENTS AND CO-WORKERS
CHAPTER 11 THE HEALTH CARE TEAM
CHAPTER 12 CULTURAL UNIQUENESS, SENSITIVITY, AND COMPETENCE
Chapter 13 Spiritual Needs, Spiritual Caring, and Religious Differences
UNIT FOUR: LEADING AND MANAGING OTHERS
Chapter 14 Assertiveness: Your Responsibility
Chapter 15 Leadership Skills
Chapter 16 LPN/LVN Charge Nurse Skills: Management, Including Assignment and Delegation
UNIT 5: HEALTH CARE ENVIRONMENT: BASIC ELEMENTS
Chapter 17 Health Care Settings
Chapter 18 Health Care System: Financing, Issues, and Trends
Chapter 19 Ethics Applied to Nursing
Chapter 20 Nursing and the Law
UNIT 6: END AND A NEW BEGINNING
Chapter 21 Finding a Job
Chapter 22 The NCLEX-PN® Examination
Chapter 23 How to Make Your Career Grow
Appendix A: State Boards of Nursing
Appendix B: NAPNES Standards of Practice and Educational Competencies of Graduates of Practical/Vocational Nursing Programs
Appendix C: NFLPN Nursing Practice Standards for the Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurse
Appendix D: Learning Exercises for the Organizationally Challenged
Appendix E: Internet Resources
Appendix F: The Howlett Style of Nursing Leadership
Appendix G: Delegation: Concepts and Decision-Making Process (NCSBN) Grow
Signe S. Hill, RN, BSN, MA, Formerly Instructor, Practical Nursing Program, Northeast Wisconsin Technical College, Green Bay, WI and Helen Stephens Howlett, RN, BSN, MS, Formerly Instructor, Practical Nursing Program, Northeast Wisconsin Technical College, Green Bay, WI