Advanced Practice Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource,5th Edition
Addressing all major advanced practice nursing competencies, roles, and issues, Advanced Practice Nursing: An Integrative Approach, 5th Edition provides a clear, comprehensive, and current introduction to APN today. It applies APN core competencies to the major APN roles — including the burgeoning Nurse Practitioner role — and covers topics ranging from the evolution of APN to evidence-based practice, leadership, ethical decision-making, and health policy. This edition includes a new chapter on the international development of APN, new and enhanced illustrations, and a colorful new reader-friendly format for improved readability. From internationally known APN experts Ann Hamric, Charlene Hanson, Mary Fran Tracy, and Eileen O'Grady, along with a host of internationally recognized APN contributors, Advanced Practice Nursing introduces you to APN and helps you identify an APN role, develop key competencies for that role, and succeed as an APN.
- The development of all major competencies of advanced practice nursing is discussed: direct clinical practice, consultation, coaching/guidance, research, leadership, collaboration, and ethical decision-making.
- Advanced practice competencies are discussed in relation to all advanced practice nursing and blended CNS-NP roles (case manager, acute care nurse practitioner), highlighting the shared aims and distinctions of each role.
- In-depth discussions on educational strategies explain how competencies develop as the nurses’ practice progresses.
- A chapter on research competencies demonstrates how to use evidence-based research in practice, and how to promote these research competencies to other APNs.
- A conceptual framework shows the clear relationship between the competencies, roles, and challenges in today’s health care environment.
- Practical strategies are provided for business management, contracting, and marketing.
- Comprehensive information covers the essential competencies of the new Doctor of Nursing Practice degree.
- More exemplars (case studies) provide real-life scenarios showing APN competencies in action.
- A new chapter shows how to provide reliable and valid data to substantiate your impact and justify equitable reimbursement for APN services, also enhancing your skills in quality improvement strategies, informatics, and systems thinking.
- Information on telehealth considerations covers the new sources of electronic healthcare information available to patients and describes how to counsel them on using reliable resources.
Part I: Historical and Developmental Aspects of Advanced Practice Nursing
1. A Brief History of Advanced Practice Nursing in the United States
2. Conceptualizations of Advanced Practice Nursing
3. A Definition of Advanced Practice Nursing
4. Role Development of the Advanced Practice Nurse
5. Evolving and Innovative Opportunities for Advanced Practice Nursing
6. International Development of Advanced Practice Nursing NEW!
Part II: Competencies of Advanced Practice Nursing
7. Direct Clinical Practice
8. Guidance and Coaching
10. Evidence-Based Practice NEW TITLE/FOCUS!
13. Ethical Decision Making
Part III: Advanced Practice Roles: The Operational Definitions of Advanced Practice Nursing
14. The Clinical Nurse Specialist
15. The Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
16. The Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
17. The Certified Nurse-Midwife
18. The Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist
Part IV: Critical Elements in Managing Advanced Nursing Practice Environments
19. Business Planning and Reimbursement Mechanisms
20. Marketing and Negotiating NEW TITLE/FOCUS!
21. Understanding Regulatory, Legal, and Credentialing Requirements
22. Health Policy Issues in Changing Environments
23. An Integrative Review of Advanced Practice Nursing Outcomes and Performance Improvement Research
24. Using Outcomes and Performance Improvement Data to Evaluate and Improve Practice
Ann B. Hamric, PhD, RN, FAAN, Associate Dean for Academic Programs and Professor, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Nursing, Richmond, Virginia, Charlene M. Hanson, EdD, RN, CS, FNP, FAAN, Professor Emerita, School of Nursing, Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, Georgia, Mary Fran Tracy, PhD, RN, APRN, CNS, FAAN, Associate Professor, School of Nursing, University of Minnesota; Nurse Scientist, University of Minnesota Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota and Eileen T. O'Grady, PhD, RN, ANP, Certified Nurse Practitioner and Wellness Coach; Founder, The School of Wellness, McLean, Virginia