The Human Body in Health and Illness - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 5th Edition
Using colorful cartoons, humorous illustrations, and an easy-to-read approach, The Human Body in Health and Illness, 5th Edition makes it fun to learn anatomy & physiology. Step-by-step explanations, clever features, and clinical examples simplify A&P concepts and relate A&P to the real world. Organized by body system, this book shows how each organ is structurally designed to perform specific physiological tasks while demonstrating what happens to the body when a system does not function properly. Written by well-known author and educator Barbara Herlihy, The Human Body in Health and Illness makes A&P concepts easy to understand even if you have a limited background in the sciences.
- Unique! Original, colorful cartoons use humor to reinforce content, making it more accessible and user-friendly.
- Original, full-color illustrations complement the text and simplify both fundamental and complex concepts.
- Key terms are listed in chapter openers and defined in the glossary.
- A summary outline at the end of each chapter provides a useful study tool.
- Review Your Knowledge questions at the end of each chapter include multiple-choice and matching
- Unique! Do You Know boxes discuss pathophysiology issues or provide a historical connection to A&P.
- Unique! Disorders of the _____ System tables summarize specific disorders related to individual body systems for easy reference.
- Sum It Up! reinforces and summarizes key topics.
- As You Age boxes describe how aging affects human anatomy and physiology.
- An updated Evolve companion website provides access to posttests, animations, an audio glossary, and additional Do You Know vignettes.
- Re-Think sections ask you to review concepts and apply what youÕve learned.
- Unique! Ramp It Up! boxes connect material in the text to the clinical setting and your future career.
- Unique! Build-a-Word boxes help you learn and build upon new medical terminology.
- Unique! Go Figure! features ask you to reexamine diagrams, reinforcing the key points of each one.
- Unique! Bridges to Nursing Assessment Labs on the companion Evolve website bridge the gap between A&P theory and clinical application.
1. Introduction to the Human Body 2. Basic Chemistry 3. Cells 4. Cell Metabolism 5. Microbiology Basics 6. Tissues and Membranes 7. Integumentary System and Body Temperature 8. Skeletal System 9. Muscular System 10. Nervous System: Nervous Tissue and Brain 11. Nervous System: Spinal Cord and Peripheral Nerves 12. Autonomic Nervous System 13. Sensory System 14. Endocrine System 15. Blood 16. Anatomy of the Heart 17. Function of the Heart 18. Anatomy of the Blood Vessels 19. Functions of the Blood Vessels 20. Lymphatic System 21. Immune System 22. Respiratory System 23. Digestive System 24. Urinary System 25. Water, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Balance 26. Reproductive Systems 27. Human Development and Heredity
Barbara Herlihy, PhD(Physiology), RN, Professor, University of the Incarnate Word, School of Nursing and Health Professions, San Antonio, TX