Stay up-to-date on the latest advances and current issues in equine medicine with this handy reference for the busy equine practitioner, large animal veterinarian, or student. This edition of Current Therapy in Equine Medicine brings you thorough coverage and expert advice on selected topics in areas that have seen significant advances in the last 5 years. Content emphasizes the practical aspects of diagnosis and treatment and provides details for therapeutic regimens. Arranged primarily by body system, the text also features sections on infectious diseases, foal diseases, nutrition, and toxicology. With this cutting-edge information all in one reliable source, you’ll increase your awareness of key therapies in less time.
- Focuses on the latest therapy for equine diseases, emphasizing detailed discussions and the most reliable and current information.
- Organized approach to important problems brings you up-to-date, practical information organized by organ system.
- Concise, easy-to-read format saves you time; most articles provide essential information in 2 to 5 pages.
- Renowned group of contributors share their expertise on the timely topics you need to know about.
- Photos enhance information.
- Line drawings illustrate important concepts.
- NEW! Emerging topics include issues such as disinfection in equine hospitals; complimentary modalities to traditional medicine; chemotherapy for oncological diseases; and protecting yourself with medical records.
- Each section has NEW topics including medical management of critically ill foals in the field; oral cavity masses; radiology of sinuses and teeth; biochemical tests for myocardial injury; protozoal myeloencephalitis update; management of bladder uroliths; skin grafting; managing the high-risk pregnancy; shock wave therapy; and more!
Section I Clinical Pharmacology
Chapter 1 Adverse Drug Reactions Jennifer L. Davis
Chapter 2 Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs Anthony T. Blikslager
Chapter 3 Update on Common Antimicrobials K. Gary Magdesian
Chapter 4 Systemic Chemotherapy for Oncologic Diseases Teresa Burns, C. Guillermo Couto
Chapter 5 Fluphenazine Toxicosis Michael Brashier
Chapter 6 Field Anesthesia Craig A. Mosley
Chapter 7 Anesthesia at High Altitude Khursheed Mama
Chapter 8 Anesthesia and Sedation of Miniature Horses Nora S. Matthews, Carin Ponder
Section II Medico-Legal
Chapter 9 Reading and Interpreting Scientific Literature Philip H. Kass
Chapter 10 Equine Insurance Ronald Kirk, T. Douglas Byars
Chapter 11 Protecting Yourself with Medical Records Margaret L. Neterer, Patricia O’Handley
Chapter 12 The Unwanted Horse: An Overview of the Issue Tom R. Lenz
Chapter 13 Field Necropsy Kurt Williams
Section III Nutrition
Chapter 14 Nutritional Management of the Starved Horse Iveta Becvarova, Craig Thatcher
Chapter 15 Dietary Management of the Obese Horse Ray J. Geor, Pat Harris
Chapter 16 Updates to the Nutrient Requirements of the Horse: NRC 2007 guidelines Laurie M. Lawrence
Chapter 17 Antioxidants and Horse Health Pierre Lekeux, Nathalie Kirschvink
Chapter 18 Nutritional Factors in Developmental Orthopedic Disease Brian D. Nielsen
Chapter 19 The Pros and Cons of Probiotics Veronique Julliand, Annette Zeyner
Chapter 20 Herbs and Nutraceuticals Carey A. Williams
Chapter 21 Use of Nutraceuticals for Equine Joint Disease Wayne McIlwraith
Chapter 22 Nutrition for the Critically Ill Horse Susan J. Holcombe, Elizabeth A. Carr
Section IV Behavior
Chapter 23 Headshaking Syndrome Katy Taylor, Daniel Mills
Chapter 24 Management of Stereotypic Behavior (Stable Vices) Daniel Mills
Chapter 25 Aggression in Horses Sharon Lynn Crowell-Davis
Chapter 26 Foal Rejection Katherine A. Houpt
Chapter 27 Transportation of Horses Ted H. Friend
Section V Infectious Disease
Chapter 28 Strangles, Immunology and Management John Timoney
Chapter 29 Epidemiology and Prevention of Rhodococcus Infection Noah Cohen
Chapter 30 Control of Salmonella and Nosocomial Infections Roberta M. Dwyer
Chapter 31 Rhodococcus Equi Pneumonia Nathan Slovis
Chapter 32 Lyme Disease Thomas J. Divers, Yung-Fu Chang
Chapter 33 Leptospirosis Thomas J. Divers, Yung-Fu Chang
Chapter 34 Systemic Illness Caused by Corynebacterium Pseudotuberculosis Suzanne M. Pratt
Chapter 35 Equine Viral Arteritis Peter Timoney
Chapter 36 Clostridial Diseases J. Scott Weese
Chapter 37 Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococci J. Scott Weese
Chapter 38 Lawsonia Intracellularis Enteropathy in Foals Ramiro E. Toribio
Chapter 39 Equine Herpes Virus Myeloencephalopathy Lutz S. Goehring, D. Paul Lunn
Section VI The Cardiovascular System
Chapter 40 Cardiovascular Pharmacology Colin C. Schwarzwald
Chapter 41 Management of Atrial Fibrillation Gunther Van Loon
Chapter 42 Training Effects on Echocardiographic Measurements Rikke Buhl, Annette K. Ersboll
Chapter 43 Congestive Heart Failure Sarah Gardner
Chapter 44 Pericarditis Sophy Jesty
Chapter 45 Infective Endocarditis Sophy Jesty
Chapter 46 Pulmonary Hypertension JoAnn Slack
Chapter 47 Biochemical Tests for Cardiac Injury Simon F. Peek
Chapter 48 Blood Donors and Whole Blood Transfusion in Private Practice J. Barry David
Chapter 49 Coagulopathies Karsten Feige
Section VII The Respiratory System
Chapter 50 Radiology of Sinuses and Teeth David O. Klugh
Chapter 51 Sinuscopy and Sinus Surgery in the Standing Horse James Schumacher, Justin Perkins