Pathology for the Physical Therapist Assistant - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource,
No other textbook provides coverage of the essential concepts of disease processes and disorders with the specific needs of the physical therapy assistant in mind. Pathology for the Physical Therapist Assistant provides coverage of disease processes and systemic disorders as well as guidelines, precautions, and contraindications for physical therapy interventions. Catherine Goodman, Kenda Fuller, and Robbie O’Shea share their expertise in a consistent, well-organized approach that defines each disorder, describes the appropriate physical therapy assessment and intervention, and rounds out the discussion with relevant case study examples based on established practice patterns.
- Chapters follow a consistent organization, first defining a disorder and then describing the appropriate physical therapy assessment and intervention.
- Full-color art throughout clearly depicts pathologies and interventions.
- Case studies provide examples of physical therapy applications to help you connect theory and practice and build strong clinical reasoning skills.
- Special boxes highlight Clinical Signs, Interventions, and Case Studies to alert you to important information within the text.
- Terminology and language from the Guide to Physical Therapy Practice is used throughout to familiarize you with standardized terminology used in practice.
- A companion Evolve website provides additional online learning activities including online chapters, references linked to Medline, case studies, and self-test questions.
SECTION I: INTRODUCTION 1 Introduction to Concepts of Pathology 2 Problems Affecting Multiple Systems 3 Injury, Inflammation and Healing
SECTION II: CLINICAL MEDICINE 4 The Immune System 5 Infectious disease 6 Oncology 7 The Integumentary System 8 The Endocrine and Metabolic Systems 9 The Cardiovascular System 10 The Hematologic System 11 The Respiratory System 12 The Gastrointestinal System 13 The Hepatic, Pancreatic, and Biliary Systems 14 The Renal and Urologic Systems
SECTION III: PATHOLOGY OF THE MUSCULOSKELETAL SYSTEM 15 Introduction to Pathology of the Musculoskeletal System & Metabolic Disorders 16 Genetic and Developmental Disorders 17 Infectious Diseases of the Musculoskeletal System 18 Musculoskeletal Neoplasms 19 Soft Tissue, Joint and Bone Disorders and Metabolic disorders
SECTION IV: PATHOLOGY OF THE NERVOUS SYSTEM 20 Introduction to Central Nervous System Disorders 21 Infectious Disorders of the Central Nervous System 22 Central Nervous System Neoplasms 23 Degenerative Diseases of the Central Nervous System 24 Stroke 25 Traumatic Brain Injury 26 Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury 27 Cerebral Palsy 28 Epilepsy 29 Headache 30 The Peripheral Nervous System ONLINE ONLY chapters: E1 Behavioral, Social, and Environmental Factors Contributing to Disease and Dysfunction E2 The Psychosocial-Spiritual Impact on Health Care E3 Environmental and Occupational Medicine E4 The Male Genital/Reproductive System E5 The Female Genital/Reproductive System E6 Vestibular Disorders E7 Laboratory Tests and Values Appendix A: Summary of Standard Precautions Appendix B: Guidelines for Activity and Exercise
Catherine C. Goodman, MBA, PT, CBP, Medical Multimedia Group, Faculty Affiliate, University of Montana, Missoula, MT and Kenda S. Fuller, PT, NCS, ABPTS Board Certified Specialist in Neurologic Physical Therapy, Co-owner South Valley Physical Therapy, P.C., Denver, CO, Clinical Instructor, Physical Therapy Program, University of Colorado Health Science Center, Denver, CO