2012 ICD-9-CM for Hospitals, Volumes 1, 2 and 3 Professional Edition - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Elsevier and the American Medical Association have partnered to co-publish this ICD-9-CM reference by Carol J. Buck!
Code efficiently and effectively with Carol J. Buck's 2012 ICD-9-CM for Hospitals, Volumes 1, 2, & 3, Professional Edition. Combining Netter's Anatomy artwork and the 2011 Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting (OCGR) with a format designed by coders for coders, this handy, spiral-bound reference helps you easily access the information you need to stay up to date and ensure the most accurate billing and maximum reimbursement in physician-based and inpatient coding. Plus, you can take this resource into your certification exams for enhanced testing support!
- Coverage of all three ICD-9-CM volumes fulfills all of your coding needs with one comprehensive guide.
- Convenient spiral binding makes it easy to access the information you need.
- UNIQUE! Full-color Netter's Anatomy artwork clarifies complex anatomic information to help you appropriately code related procedures.
- Use Additional Digit(s) symbol in the index identifies codes that require an additional digit to remind you to check the tabular.
- Full-color design incorporates color-coded symbols to help you quickly find the information you need.
- More than 150 full-color illustrations enhance your understanding of difficult terminology, diseases/conditions, and specific coding situations.
- The 2011 Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting (OGCR) are listed within the lists of codes and in a separate index for fast, easy access to the coding rules when you need them.
- Items provide detailed information on common diseases and conditions, helping you code more effectively.
- Symbols throughout the text alert you to new, revised, and deleted codes and clearly identify codes that require special consideration before assigning symbols, including use additional, includes and excludes, code first, and codes that cannot be assigned as principal diagnoses.
- Present on Admission symbol highlights particular diseases that will always be coded as present on admission.
- Hospital Acquired Condition symbol notes specific conditions that will always be coded as hospital acquired for easier recognition.
- Complications & Comorbidities (CC) and Major Complications & Comorbidities (MCC) symbols help you instantly recognize codes associated with the presence of secondary diagnoses from MS-DRGs.
- CC and MCC Exclusion lists instantly alert you to CC and MCC exceptions.
- Additional hints, tips and definitions within specific codes provide extra guidance in coding anatomy, pathophysiology, or other coding directions.
- Guide to the Updates enables you to reference all annual coding changes at a glance.
- References to the American Hospital Association's Coding Clinics help you find expanded information about specific codes and their usage.
- Age and Sex edits alert you to codes that are used only with patients of a specific age or sex, helping to ensure accurate reporting.
- Manifestation code helps you identify certain conditions where it is important to record both the etiology (cause) and the manifestation (symptom) of the disease.
- Omit and Code Also codes highlight government text needing special attention.
- Valid OR Procedure symbols help you recognize procedures affected by DRG.
- Coding updates on the companion codingupdates.com website keep you informed of changes to ICD codes.
- Authorized support you can take into certification exams to enhance your testing experience and help you ensure certification success.
Unit I: ICD-9-CM Part I: Introduction ICD-9-CM Background Coordination and Maintenance Committee Characteristics of the ICD-9-CM ICD-9-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting Part II: Alphabetic Index, Volume 2 Section 1 Index to Diseases Section 2 Table of Drugs and Chemicals Section 3 Index to External Causes of Injury Part III: Diseases: Tabular List, Volume 1 1. Infectious and Parasitic Diseases 2. Neoplasms 3. Endocrine, Nutritional and Metabolic Diseases and Immunity Disorders 4. Diseases of the Blood and Blood-forming Organs 5. Mental Disorders 6. Diseases of the Nervous System and Sense Organs 7. Diseases of the Circulatory System 8. Diseases of the Respiratory System 9. Diseases of the Digestive System 10. Diseases of the Genitourinary System 11. Complications of Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Puerperium 12. Diseases of the Skin and Subcutaneous Tissue 13. Diseases of the Musculoskeletal System and Connective Tissue 14. Congenital Anomalies 15. Certain Conditions Originating in the Perinatal Period 16. Symptoms, Signs, and Ill-defined Conditions 17. Injury and Poisoning V-Codes-Supplementary Classification of Factors Influencing Health Status and Contact with Health Services E-Codes-Supplementary Classification of External Causes of Injury and Poisoning
Appendices A. Morphology of Neoplasms B. Glossary of Mental Disorders C. Classification of Drugs by American Hospital Formulary Services List Number and Their ICD-9-CM Equivalents D. Classification of Industrial Accidents According to Agency E. List of Three-Digit Categories * Part IV: Procedures, Volume 3 Index to Procedures Tabular List of Procedures 0. Procedures and Interventions, Not Elsewhere Classified 1. Operations on the Nervous System 2. Operations on the Endocrine System 3. Operations on the Eye 4. Operations on the Ear 5. Operations on the Nose, Mouth, and Pharynx 6. Operations on the Respiratory System 7. Operations on the Cardiovascular System 8. Operations on the Hemic and Lymphatic System 9. Operations on the Digestive System 10. Operations on the Urinary System 11. Operations on the Male Genital Organs 12. Operations on the Female Genital Organs 13. Obstetrical Procedures 14. Operations on the Musculoskeletal System 15. Operations on the Integumentary System 16. Miscellaneous Diagnostic and Therapeutic Procedures Unit II: Inpatient Procedures Inpatient Procedures
Carol J. Buck, MS, CPC, CCS-P, Former Program Director, Medical Secretarial Programs, Northwest Technical College, East Grand Forks, MN