Understanding Nursing Research, 6th Edition
As the bestselling nursing research text, Understanding Nursing Research: Building an Evidence-Based Practice, 6th Edition offers unique insights into understanding, appraising, and applying published research to evidence-based practice. It is known for its authoritative content, time-tested systematic approach, and unique research example format newly redesigned for the sixth edition to better demonstrate how the steps of the research process relate to evidence-based nursing.
"This would be excellent for student nurses, nurses new to research or any nurse with an interest in research." Reviewed by: Helen Reeves, St Giles Walsall Hospice on behalf of Nursing Times, December 2015
- Authoritative content is written by two of the true pioneers in nursing research, who offer unique, first-hand insights into the field.
- Research examples provide practice in working with published studies, with many of the examples including Critical Appraisal and Implications for Practice sections.
- Clear, step-by-step organization introduces the research process and demonstrates how this systematic framework relates to evidence-based practice.
- Strong emphasis on evidence-based practice helps you develop skills in studying and appraising published research, so you are prepared for your role in working with research evidence.
- Critical Appraisal Guidelines boxes provide step-by-step guidance in appraising published research studies.
- Emphasis on critical appraisal versus critique reflects contemporary usage in nursing research and evidence-based practice.
- Balanced coverage of qualitative research prepares you to approach research questions and clinical questions with an unbiased view of the researcher's methodology.
- Presentation of two different appraisal processes covers both the traditional in-depth critical appraisal process that prepares you for graduate-level work in research, and the concise, practice-focused research appraisal process that equips you for quick and accurate evaluation of the applicability of research findings to clinical practice.
- NEW! Redesigned research example format includes research examples have been thoroughly redesigned with a clear hierarchy of subcategories.
- NEW! Improved focus on need-to-know content and greater use of bulleting, creative illustrations, and tables, employs a more consistent, streamlined approach from chapter to chapter.
- NEW! Updated research examples ensure you are learning through the most clinically relevant topics and studies.
- NEW! Detailed directions on how to critically appraise research syntheses — such as systematic reviews, meta-analyses, meta-syntheses, and mixed-methods systematic reviews — increase your understanding of the types of research syntheses conducted in nursing and how to determine the quality of these syntheses and the relevance of their findings for practice.
- NEW! A unique emphasis on QSEN, aided by the input of a QSEN consultant, increases the book’s relevance to national curriculum standards and promotes the safe practice of nursing by using the most current research.
- NEW! Chapter on the Enhanced Literature Review provides guidelines for structure of reviews written for different purposes.
- NEW! More practically focused chapter on Outcomes Research better addresses the trending topic of outcomes research.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of mixed-methods research and translational research responds to the growing emphasis on these research emphases.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of cultural competency and cultural validity provides valuable information for providing care to diverse populations and understanding the validity of research instruments in various cultures.
- NEW! Quick-reference tools include a Brief Table of Contents, a new Levels of Knowledge illustration, and other evidence-based practice information inside the front cover. A Research Designs and Statistical Analysis Techniques Reference and a new Key to Statistical Symbols are located inside the back cover.
- NEW! Enhanced illustration program incorporates re-colorized illustrations and additional full-color illustrations in each chapter.
- NEW! Additional design enhancements include a special 1-column adaptation of the RN Design standard, table row separators, and newly designed chapter openers.
1. Introduction to Nursing Research and Evidence-Based Practice
2. Introduction to Quantitative Research
3. Introduction to Qualitative Research
4. Examining Ethics in Nursing Research
5. Research Problems, Purposes, and Hypotheses
6. Understanding and Critically Appraising the Literature Review
7. Understanding Theory and Research Frameworks
8. Clarifying Quantitative Research Designs
9. Examining Populations and Samples in Research
10. Clarifying Measurement and Data Collection in Quantitative Research
11. Understanding Statistics in Research
12. Critical Appraisal of Quantitative and Qualitative Research for Nursing Practice
13. Building an Evidence-Based Nursing Practice
14. Introduction to Outcomes Research
Susan K. Grove, PhD, RN, ANP-BC, GNP-BC, Professor, College of Nursing, The University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas; Adult Nurse Practitioner, Family Practice, Grand Prairie, Texas, Jennifer R. Gray, PhD, RN, FAAN, George W. and Hazel M. Jay Professor, College of Nursing; Associate Dean and Chair, Department of MSN Administration, Education, and PhD Programs, The University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas and Nancy Burns, PhD, RN, FCN, FAAN, Professor Emeritus, College of Nursing, The University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas; Faith Community Nurse, St. Matthew Cumberland Presbyterian Church, Burleson, Texas