- Matching exercises, multiple-choice questions, coding questions, and case scenarios with MS-DRG assignments in each chapter reinforce key content from the text.
- Hands-on application activities and case studies help users master coding concepts and apply them in real-world scenarios.
- ICD-10-CM/PCS codes are included for all coding exercises and examples, in preparation for the October 2015 implementation of ICD-10.
- ICD-10 Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting are included in each chapter on coding.
- Evolve companion website for the ICD-10-CM/PCS Coding text offers convenient online access to updates, partial answer keys, and coding guidelines.
- NEW! Updated ICD-10 code revisions, released in spring 2014, incorporated to provide the most up-to-date information available.
1. The Rationale for and History of Coding
2. The Health Record as the Foundation of Coding
3. ICD-10-CM Format and Conventions
4. Basic Steps of Coding
5. General Coding Guidelines for Diagnosis
6. General Coding Guidelines for Medical and Surgical Procedures
7. General Coding Guidelines for Other Medical- and Surgical-Related Procedures and Ancillary Procedures
8. Symptoms, Signs, and Abnormal Clinical and Laboratory Findings Not Elsewhere Classified, and Z Codes (ICD-10-CM Chapters 18 and 21, Codes R00-R99, Z00-Z99)
9. Certain Infectious and Parasitic Diseases (ICD-10-CM Chapter 1, Codes A00-B99)
10. Neoplasms (ICD-10-CM Chapter 2, Codes C00-D49)
11. Diseases of the Blood and Blood-Forming Organs and Certain Disorders Involving the Immune Mechanism (ICD-10-CM Chapter 3, Codes D50-D89)
12. Endocrine, Nutritional, and Metabolic Diseases (ICD-10-CM Chapter 4, Codes E00-E89)
13. Mental, Behavioral, and Neurodevelopmental Disorders (ICD-10-CM Chapter 5, Codes F01-F99)
14. Diseases of the Nervous System, Diseases of the Eye and Adnexa, and Diseases of the Ear and Mastoid Process (ICD-10-CM Chapter 6, Codes G00-G99, Chapter 7, Codes H00-H59, and Chapter 8, Codes H60-H95)
15. Diseases of the Circulatory System (ICD-10-CM Chapter 9, Codes I00-I99)
16. Diseases of the Respiratory System (ICD-10-CM Chapter 10, Codes J00-J99)
17. Diseases of the Digestive System (ICD-10-CM Chapter 11, Codes K00-K95)
18. Diseases of the Skin and Subcutaneous Tissue (ICD-10-CM Chapter 12, Codes L00-L99)
19. Diseases of the Musculoskeletal System and Connective Tissue (ICD-10-CM Chapter 13, Codes M00-M99)
20. Diseases of the Genitourinary System (ICD-10-CM Chapter 14, Codes N00-N99)
21. Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Puerperium (ICD-10-CM Chapter 15, Codes O00-O9A)
22. Certain Conditions Originating in the Perinatal Period and Congenital Malformations, Deformations, and Chromosomal Abnormalities (ICD-10-CM Chapter 16, Codes P00-P96 and Chapter 17, Codes Q00-Q99)
23. Injury and Certain Other Consequences of External Causes and External Causes of Morbidity (ICD-10-CM Chapter 19, Codes S00-T98 and Chapter 20, Codes V00-Y99)
24. Burns, Adverse Effects, and Poisonings (ICD-10-CM Chapters 19 and 20, Codes S00-Y99)
25. Complications of Surgical and Medical Care
26. Reimbursement Methodologies
27. Outpatient Coding